Paper Rings etc

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Paper Rings etc

Post by semtav »

Are Paper Rings the accuracy Killer they are purported to be?
And has anyone done a real good accuracy test on a chamber before and after it went from a 45 deg to 7 deg on paper patch bullets.
BFD

Re: Paper Rings etc

Post by BFD »

No and no.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I've got 2 Browning 45-70's and am going to work up my best load for one of them. I know I will get rings cause i do on every other chamber with the 45 Deg. transition. I'm thinking then I might get someone to put the 7 deg chamber in one of them and see if that improves anything.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Dont do it.

I have 45 angles on all of my rifles and they are the most accurate paper patch rifles anywhere. I do not get paper rings.

The Browning .45-70 (but not the .45-90) is probably the very best factory chamber out there.

These Internet forums have screwed up far more rifles that they have "fixed".
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Semtav, I am curious. How much of what powder are you using and what alloy are you using. My current hunting load is 110 grains of 2F KIK under a 500 grain bullet cast 20/1 and I have not seen a ring in years in any one of my 4 rifles in that caliber.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I have shot my best Long Range score (26/30) with the Shiloh factory chambered 45-70 plus matched my high score on the mid range (29/30) with my 42 Wesson that also has the 45 deg transition and I got Paper Rings every shot. Kinda why I was wondering. course I'm shooting Patched to groove.

I may be in a little disagreement about the Browning 45-90 tho. Only cause its been working as good as I could ask for in a Patched to Groove load.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I'm currently using 37 to 39 Gr Blackhorn in my chambers with the 45 deg and patching to Groove. that may be the difference.
I am going to start working up a black powder load for a couple of the 45 deg chambers, but my 45-90 with the freebore is working too well to get too enthused about anything else in the BP department yet and I very seldom get a Paper Ring with it. I'm using 95 gr Swiss 1.5 in it
Brian
BFD

Post by BFD »

semtav wrote:I may be in a little disagreement about the Browning 45-90 tho. Only cause its been working as good as I could ask for in a Patched to Groove load.
Then you have confirmation that the 45 angle is not your problem. Why "fix" what ain't broken?

If you've got a flat tire, changing spark plugs won't get you back on the road.

Try bore diameter in that Browning if you want to see what it is really capable of.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

I have not shot a groove diameter bullet in years but I would try a slower powder or a harder alloy. I never got a ring with a linotype bullet. :roll:
semtav

Post by semtav »

If I did, it would only be to test a theory, not cure a problem. And I would only do it if I could take it on out to 45-90 with my DT PP reamer if I wasn't impressed. But considering i barely have time to shoot one match a month, little own spend a bunch of time testing loads, I doubt it would ever come to fruition.
semtav

Post by semtav »

77 sharps wrote:I have not shot a groove diameter bullet in years but I would try a slower powder or a harder alloy. I never got a ring with a linotype bullet. :roll:
I've been using 12.5 to 1 with BP and 50/50 WW pb with the Blackhorn. Never thot of going that hard!!!!!
BFD

Post by BFD »

It's your money; your rifles; your time.

I wasted enough of all three. Just trying to keep you from doing the same.
semtav

Post by semtav »

OK
thanks
Advice well heeded :)

On the Bright side, both my 45-110 and 45-100 that I haven't had time to mess with have 45 deg chambers,so they should perform well ! I hope !!
arnie

Post by arnie »

Paper ring is caused by too short of cases .
Orville

Post by Orville »

I bought a new Shiloh 45-70 shot it with pp bullets and grease groove bullets, then cut the 7 degree lead and shot it again, and also with store bought smokeless ammo, jacketed bullets. It shot better with the 7 degree lead, no paper rings. And with the jacketed bullets 3 of the 5 shots were touching almost one ragged hole.
As for paper rings if enough paper is stripped off the exposing lead you will get lead in the barrel. The ODG didn't have a 45 degree lead in thier guns why would you want it when you trying to shot as they did.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.