Paper Rings etc

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: Paper Rings etc

Post by bruce m »

brent,
your second paragraph describes exactly what we should look for.
the study of confetti is a very important tool in the pp job.
I often wonder how we should deburr the inside of case necks.
with modern jacketed bullets, an absolute minimum of deburring is optimum.
with pp alloy bullets, there could be the possibility that bumping up alloy could act like a scissor against too sharp a case mouth and shear the paper without making a ring - just cutting it.
possibly a healthy deburring might be superior.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Quantas Bruce, Quantas. Focus on the future.

Make your reservations now. March 2017. Rooville Downunder to Phoenix Sky Harbor. We will pick you up, drive you to the range and have a tent replete with a complete loading outfit, primers, scales, measures, powder and all. Just let us know in advance what you need. You will need to bring a rifle, brass and bullets, and don't forget Bruce M.

And above all, bring the Australian Flag so we can fly it from the 1,000 yard line and burn our Billy cans in it's shade as it waves bravely north of the equator.

PS-you will have to clean your own rifle... :oops:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

zack,
you are a wiley old fox.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
arnie

Post by arnie »

Does the Australian flag fly into the wind or with the wind ? :lol:
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

now it is on.
first of all, where I come from we are not like roos, but more like the wombat.
the reason for this is that the wombat boils the billy, and eats roots and leaves.
the above description might also tell you how the flag flies. it can fly into the wind.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

One of the things I think might happen with the .45 degree transition angle is that hard fouling ( perhaps carbon fouling) probably catches and builds in the lower corner and partially fills the gap even after a wiping patch has been run down bore. How much is removed or not may be the difference between getting paper rings or not. Just a thought.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Zac ..that is 'Qantas' ..not " Quantas"... I'm afraid to say ..that just because we convicts were dumped down here by the English ..doesnt mean we can spell. Well..even the English can't spell sometimes. :shock:
.. Have to say I've been very happy with my 7 degree transition in the 44/77's Shiloh has done for me. The chamber reamer included the angle and it wasn't an afterthought. A tight chamber and cases cut to the correct length seemed to solve most of my issues with paper rings. Didn't solve all my issues of course... Still have plenty of them :roll: . Never quite got rid of them when I shot pp in my 50/70 but mostly they came out with the extracted case and never appeared to effect accuracy

Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Gavin, you too have a formal invitation to the Phoenix festivities Mate :wink: Wombat's and all... :lol:

Not to worry....As for the English dropping convicts and murdering the language, well, it seems like here the should be convicts float to the top and we have our regional language aberrations also.

Your Shiloh 44/77 is all the permit you need to lay down at a 1,000 and shoot away. :D
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Bruce, I can bring a gas stove for the Billy and local Yucca Root is really good. Tonas de Nopal is like fruit and grows wild, many like the Nopalitos which is also cactus. A little olive oil and salt & pepper and you will be good to go. You will be right at home, Wombats and all 8) Mind the spinas.

Here you can inspect confetti and produce paper rings until your heart is content... :D :D :D

PS-we have public showers and toilets at the range also, use of which is highly recommended. :roll:

All YOU have to do is put in an appearance.
Orville

Post by Orville »

Old-win I have the orignial gun along with his letters to sharps when he ordered it with the drawing of the reticle he wanted in the scope. Also the letter when he wanted to order another gun as his has been black-balled. The original gun was not chambered any different then the standard hunting rifle, I have a second gun I almost new condition which is 63 serial no. From the Tollofson gun, same chamber same diamentions on the bore and chamber. The fellows name was Tollofson, there was an article written in the sharps collector magazine, I tracked down the owner and bought the gun along with all the paper work.
As for the plagerist a few year back he said standard chambers were just fine for patched bullets he is singing a different tune these days.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

gavin,
what do you think?
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

here you go zack.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bNBy1D1Y0h4
keep safe,
captain kangaroo.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Dear Bruce and Gavin, after viewing the youtube you referenced there is little doubt you two will fit right in at the 2017 World 1,000 Yard Championships.

A goodly bit of Makers with 7 and the language barrier will melt away. Ensure that you do not use lead cups.

I will add two bars of Irish Spring to the necessities list. Fortunately, the bathrooms have clear user instructions posted in English.

We will squad you next to ................................ maybe we should withhold that information for now. :roll:

Looking forward to your grand entrance into the fray.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Desert Deuce,
How dare you spoil that Makers with "7". Why cover up the taste with anything other than a few ice cubes and maybe a splash of water.
beltfed/arnie
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The northern hairy-nosed wombat's nose is very important in its survival because it has very poor eyesight, so it must detect its food in the dark through smell. :D

Poor eyesight could result in poor shooting as well ? Perhaps leave them back in Queensland. :cry:

Nose hair trimmers available at Wal-Mart. :roll: