New Season-same dreams:

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TYRVR

New Season-same dreams:

Post by TYRVR »

Yep.....less than a month until the first match here in Va. and I have already set my personal goals for the years shooting, foremost is to move one way or the other in my classification......cause I'm in the same classification as Mickey Dixon.....and ain't no durn way I can beat him!
second is to finally get a 10 in a row pin on the blasted Rams.....I have pins for Pigs and Turkeys.....5 in a row for Rams......couple of those, but for some reason I cannot clean the second bank, Hillary C.may be right, could it be the "Vast Right Wing of Rams Conspiriacy" working against me?
third goal is to finally pare down the amount of stuff I have to carry to the matches.......people pull off the hi-way when I pass and gawk... my truck resembles the Joad family's old flivver in the movie "Grapes of Wrath" with all the equipment I have tied in and on the truck......I pulled into Randy Weeks gate last year for one of his matches and he came out and told me the yard sale was two more miles down the road...and the landfill was only one .... take my choice but don't unload that mess here.

I guess thats it, if I can accomplish all this.....it will have been a great season!

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Shenandoah Valley of Va.

Old Tye? Thet be "hillbilly" kountrie ain't it? They still mekin "white lightning" up thet way ain't they?

:roll: :shock: :roll:
TYRVR

Home Made Group Tightener:

Post by TYRVR »

Our range is located in the heart of Franklin County Va. at one time Franklin County was known for it's production of untaxed spirits, but that is all in the past, we are all graduates of eastern business and law schools now and have replaced the stills in the deep shaded hollows with winerys along the Blue Ridge parkway in our pursuit of dollars, we have however, in the spirit of preserving our historical heritage, trained and outfiited in bib overalls some Mexican and Guatemalian emigres to run a mixture of sugar and corn syrup thru ersatz automobile radiator stills just to please the northern tourists, these tourists don't seem to mind the sudden stabbing attacks of blindness or loss of involutary motor skills as long as they think they are re-creating the "real" Hill-Billy expierience, fourth quarter profits from last years operations at our roadside locations alone tripled the best year of real distilled "Moonshine"alcohol sales figures, and if the projections from our marketing sources are on spot, the stabilizing situations in the middle east coupled with the fear of international travel will once again funnel a steady flow of northern dollars into Franklin County, .........."Us Hill billys sho do presheate ya'll cummin by,"

Ol'Tye,...ignerant and happy.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Dear Ol'Tye of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"

Because I have hoped I would be able to get in your club one day, I have been messing around with my .348 WCF, casting 250-grainers, experimenting with black etc. etc. Being a lever action, the .348 being a rather strange case shape, the cartridge never having originally been a black powder one etc. etc., the rifle has not immediately taken to lead bullets and black. It has taken a lot of work to make it shoot. When I get depressed, I load up 250-grain Barnes originals over smokeless to 2300 fps plus, go to the range, tie myself to a tree, and shoot a box. Then I go home and soak in the hottub for the rest of the day. I pity the bear who gets in front of that load on the right day.
MLV

Post by MLV »

Ty: Being from Mingo County WEST Virginia we always considered you Virginians as city folk. (The silhouette year started off good for me as I shot 2 master class scores at the California Regional last week.)
TYRVR

.348 Winchester .....recoil?

Post by TYRVR »

Listen to yourself Steve!.....sound like a San Francisco purse designer.......recoil.......lets examine that word...."re"- that means doing something over....right? as in it wasn't done right the first time, so "re"do it, now the second half...."coil" couple meanings of this word, usually thought of in the terms of a flat spiral, or an arrangement resembling a spiral, like a "coil" of rope, also can be used to describe a mechanical device whereas a core of wrapped copper wires can temporarily store and enhance or with the aid of a commutator of sorts perform the creation of electrical energy, so if taken in this context, "re-coil" is simply the restoration of energy........in other words the bigger the gun.....the heavier the load....the better you feel.....your energy has been re-created....I know this theory is correct......because after an 80 animal match....my shoulder sometimes will "glow" for days....even in the dark
TYRVR

"City Boys"

Post by TYRVR »

Mike.....compared to the citizens of WESTERN Va. we Virginians are "city boys" our toilets have neither leaves or lawn furniture, we live in houses that have never had wheels, we refrain from marrying inside our family or outside our species. When Virginians leave their home state, they sing the praises of it's mountain vistas or the silvery waves and warm sandy beaches along the seaboard..........when a WESTERN Virginian leaves his home......theres usually a warrant involved, or a flood. I will say that most WESTERN Virginians can shoot exceptionally well, and are great hunters......reason being they can't eat coal and welfare cheese three meals a day so the gathering of game is a must.

So....M.L.Venturino is from Mingo County, must have left home early, as you obviously have learned to read and write exceptionly well...... a trait uncommon in most citizens of the WESTERN Va. area....the three "R"s taught in most WESTERN Va. schools is "the ROAD RUNNIN to ROANOKE"!

I'm sure Mr.Moody Holler and his Dad will have a rebuttal to my thoughts, but as I used a couple of two or more syllable words......they may miss the meaning of my thoughts altogether.

Ol'Tye, the meat winner of Sam Black/Kate Carpenter,
TYRVR

By the way......

Post by TYRVR »

MLV....thats durn good shooting, congratulations!
Omak Cowboy

ty

Post by Omak Cowboy »

TY writes: we refrain from marrying inside our family or outside our species

Gee, kind of takes the fun out of it all.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
RMulhern

Old Tye

Post by RMulhern »

Old Tye

I'd pay $25.00 fer a little brown jug of them "splashings"....frum one of thim deep & hidden "hollers"!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :roll:
TYRVR

Franklin County Corn....

Post by TYRVR »

...is sold in gallons, not bushels, the business of producing untaxed whiskey is alive and well, as our local news reports almost daily, the "Shiners" have become more sophisticated using existing business fronts and mass production techniques, but the state A&T boys are holding their own, Franklin County court records show that, but, there are still a few folks that make "whiskey" or brandy, these artisans turnout some of the very best spirits extant, examples sent to the states testing labs have found that the "fine" whiskies and brandies made in Franklin County are of better quality and have less impurities than those sold in the state owned stores. It has become tradition in our area to buy and give half gallons of brandy to special customers and friends outside the state, this tradition is practiced by Judges as well as Bishops and Doctors, the local colleges have courses in history and appreciation of the whiskey maker in the Blue Ridge, it as much a part of our culture as the music made here.
RMulhern

Deep "holler" splashings!

Post by RMulhern »

Under US Law....each "household" is allowed to make/consume up to 200 gallons of "brew"....per year!

Ya jist can't sell it!! :roll: :cry: :roll:
MLV

Post by MLV »

Yep, made my first trip to Montana at age 19. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Didn't take me long to get back here for good. In Mingo County it was rare to be able to see 100 yards away, so it blew my mind to be able to see things 50 or more miles away out here.

But brother, were the school systems good in that part of WV back in those days. I guess they figured getting you "learned" was the only way to keep you out of the coal mines. Worked for me.
Kenny KID Durham

Post by Kenny KID Durham »

Hey Duke. Just talked to "Himself" and he informed me that you had sone some fine shooting last weekend at Pala. Congratulations on winning the Sunday match!

Kenny D
MLV

Post by MLV »

Thanks Kenny: If I just hadn't dropped one shot I could have tied "himself" and Al Sledge for first place. But shooting 2 master class scores means I've already shot twice as many as I did in 25 matches last year!

By the way "himself" (Butch Ulsher) covered himself in glory, winning both the 2 day scoped match and the 2 day iron sight match for the California Regional Championship.