Water proofing 1863 paper cartridge?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

Water proofing 1863 paper cartridge?

Post by dm3280 »

I am starting to really enjoy making the paper cartridges for the 1863 model and started wondering if there was a way to water proof them. From my understanding back in the old days they coated the cartridge in shellac, not sure how to spell that. Has anyone tried this method or is there a better way? I would like to use this rifle this season but would hate to get the cartridges wet making them useless.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

If you contact a pyrotechnician in your area you may be able to obtain some NC lacqure (Nitrocellulose lacqure) This is used in close proximity fireworks to facilitate ignition for quick acting effects. By brushing it on the FINISHED cartridge, you waterproof it (it dries hard) and greatly increase the ignition speed.
Trigger Dr jim milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Probably not a good idea to be smoking a cigarette when filling up your cartridge box then huh?

Yikes!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

:roll: :lol: --Smokin' and black aint ever a good idea together--trust me on this one!!!! :oops: its a "been there and done that" thing!!!!
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Todd Birch

...waterproffing '63 paper cartridges....

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey dm3280

You ENJOY making up paper rounds for your '63? You're a sick puppy.

There's probably a support group for you somewhere (like the Shiloh web site forum).

Seriously, it is both a challenge and fun to see what results I get by using the methods recommended by folks that 'been there - done that' posted on the forum.
I have a lot more use and respect now for Subway sandwich wrapping paper and Zig Zag cigarette papers. And I loved watching the eyebrows of the local pharmacist arch when I bought his one and only canister of salt peter.
My concern about the nitrocellulose lacquer would be any left over residue, but from the feed back you've gotten, it'll enhance combustion as an accelerant.
Is it a controlled substance only available to licenced pyrotechnicians?

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Todd,
I don't know about your country, but here in the lower half of the continent it is NOT controlled and available through most any pyrotech supply house. I will check on the Pyro web site and get an address for you. I have used this NC for a number of things besides pyro. I am a licensed pyrotech and after retirement did professional displays for 3 years, then the opportunity to work in Pro baseball came up and there is NO WAY I would pass that up. it is not a job, but a paid vacation.
Trigger Dr jim milner
PS the NC is generally sold in quart cans about $15.00 if I remember correctly.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

Hi

I remember reading years ago in the early issues of black powder cartridge rifles about spraying the paper cartridges with hair spray to
help stiffen them and to semi waterproof them.I ve never tried it so I don t know if it works or not.One thing to rememder is that when using anything like lacquer or hair spray is that it might leave a residue in the bore which might affect accurracy and the life of the bore if it proves to be abrasive.

Jeff
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Todd Birch

Hairspraying paper cartridges???

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey, if it works, why not. Then there are high tech varathanes, acrylics, etc.

There are also natural products like shellac, varnish, etc. How much do we really need to waterproof our rounds? I used to live on the 'wet coast' where I shot flintlocks exclusively.
Because of the waterproof pan on my rifle and knowing how to keep the frizzen dry on my trade gun, my ignition was as good if not better than the percussion guns.

I'm being tongue in cheek about this, really. I've received a lot of comments re: my intentions to try Pyrodex pellets in my '63 as being heretical.
If someone was selling compressed pellets of black powder, I'd be using that. The .303 British was originally loaded with a compressed pellet of BP behind a 215 gr. lead bullet, long before the famous cordite loaded FMJ round. I know guys who shoot it in old .303s with the Lee-Metford rifling in Martini-Henrys.

It's results we're after. The means is governed by what we can live with.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

DM 3280,

I've been shooting my '63 Shiloh military carbine in North-South Skirmish Association matches for the past five years. We shoot all our matches offhand on ranges which do not have covered firing lines. I've shot my paper bullets with no problem in rain and snow. I make the paper cartridges from copier paper that I nitrate, glue into a tube, and then glue to the base of a Rapine ringtail bullet. I fill the tube with 50 grains of FFG GOEX powder and glue a cigarette or hair curler paper over the end. The rounds are carried in a cartridge box on my hip and then loaded from there. I haven't had one of these cartridges fail.

Friends have tried making cartridges from cigarette only, which have dissolved when becoming wet. I'd recommend just using nitrated copier paper with no other waterproofing methods but keeping the rounds under cover in a pocket or cartridge box.

Good luck,

Rich
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

The NC lacqure that I mentioned earlier will NOT leave a residue and will be completely consumed upon ignition. NC stands for nitrocellulose, the same as used in smokless (shudder) However, there is only enough to make the paper water REPELLANT not water PROOF.
Trigger Dr

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team