Questions from a newbee...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Andy Prisco

Questions from a newbee...

Post by Andy Prisco »

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for a few days and am struck by the generous spirit folks have shown toward newcomers...as a result, I registered and hope the same kindness might be shown in reply to some of my questions.

For the past few weeks, I have been totally sucked into the world of BPCR shooting and Shiloh's rifles. I intend on ordering my first one soon after deciding on custom features. To me, BP rifle shooting seems so similar to traditional archery, something that I have done professionally for almost 20 years, that I can't wait to go out and blast away using nothing but my traditional Sharps rifle with open sights just like they used over a hundred years ago.

In the meantime, I have a few questions that I hope some folks might be able to answer as I start this journey.

1) What is the recommended "reading list" for new BPCR shooters? I am open to anything from historical riflery, old shooting heros with their Sharps, to reloading information.

2) What is the purpose of the paper patched bullet? This is what I've been able to put together and if someone could correct me where appropriate, I would appreciate it. In short, the paper patched bullet permits the rifling to more heartily grab the projectile and as a result, afford it more spin, yielding more consistent accuracy. Yes? No? Is there more to it?

3) Would getting my first gun in 45-110 be "overdoing" it? Does anyone use 45-70 at some of the really far shots...like over 600 yds?

4) Are most of the BPCR cartridges used today NOT paper patched?

OK...I'll start there. Thanks in advance!
Andy Prisco
President
American Tomahawk Company, LLC
www.americantomahawk.com
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Andy,

Welcome to the Board.

As far as reading, I started here:

Sharps Firearms; Frank M. Sellers; ISBN 0-9608122-0-2 (amazon.com)

Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West; Mike Venturino
(I purchased my copy direct from Mike. He is a very nice guy. If you request he may be willing to inscribe your volume for you. Mike is here:
http://www.ycsi.net/users/mlventurino/ )

The Sharps Rifle, Its History, Development and Operation; Winston O. Smith (I was able to find a 1st Edition, 1943, Fine for about USD 55.00)

Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine; JS & Pat Wolfe; ISBN 1-57579-019
(Available here: http://www.the45-70book.com/)

Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer; Mike Venturino & Steve Garbe
(Available here: http://www.blackpowderspg.com/primer.html)

That is where I started. There are "classic" historical books regarding Billy Dixon, etc. You can still find some first editions, if that is what you want.

But myself, I am waiting on the historical works until I understand the above. Which I estimate will take me 20 years.

Other sites you may be interested in are:

http://www.jarheadtop.com/

http://www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/it ... eStand.htm

http://www.kowascope.com/

http://pauljonesmoulds.com/

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/

I no "nada" regarding paper patch.

I started out wanting a 45-110 for the "coolness" factor. After talking to a lot of knowledgeable guys; I will start with a 45-70. Load development seems to have a better learning curve, etc, etc.

There are many far more knowledgeable than I am that can help you out with the balance of your inquiry.

I checked out your site and am interested. I had trouble viewing the site and could not access the contact area.

When you have time please drop me a PM or eMail.

Best Regards,

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

One last thing.

The Black Powder Cartridge News is well worth subscribing to. I was surprised with how well it is done. I really like it.

It is available here: http://www.blackpowderspg.com/products_body.html
Dead Eye Dick

Tomahawk Range

Post by Dead Eye Dick »

Welcome Andy,
I spend a little bit of every day at this users forum. Great fun if I never bust a cap.
Back to the tomahawk. Have any long range matches with those :roll:
I live in a log home (big hune white pine logs) and by the kitchen door I "stuck" a tomahawk I purchaed years ago at the Cultural Fest in Arkansas (hard to imagine AK and culture in the same sentence). But if there is ANY culture in AK it has to start with a tomahawk.
By putting my note here I'll get a flag every time someone adds something to this subjeect.
Great web place - high functionality. Kinda matches the product of Shiloh Sharps. You'll get smiley voices, and lots of help when you contact Big Timber also.
BTW if you've never been to Big Timber don't expect to see any trees - don't know where the name came from. Maybe there used to be some and the wind blew them all down.
TriKiDiki
The more I practice the luckier I get.
A wanna B Shilo Rifle Owner.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Andy
paper patched bullets were the forerunner of jacketed bullets and were supposed to help with leading . a good place to read about them and reloading is on www.bpcr.net, there are a whole bunch of articles there from loading accuratly handling powder ,sight reading a paper patch article , good starting reading I also believe the pp bullet was used when it was not as convienient to lube and size bullets away from civilization it would of been a lot handier for reloaders . and yes the factory loaded them as well
as for the calibre get what you like there is enough info on here now that any calibre can be successfully reloaded . you will only be limited by your pocketbook .the 45-70 is the easiest and cheapest to start with, and will shoot to 1000 yds without too much handicap if you do your part and the 45-110 will do it as well ,it is a traditional ctg. and looks mighty fine loaded with paper patched bullets. as some say "the coolness factor"is off the charts.

most all shooters are using grease groove bullets to win matches and MOST pp bullets are used for hunting .I have used them a lot and get a lot of pleasure out of shooting them as well as making them

I like the casting and the loading as much as I like the shooting of these rifles. whew that was a lot of huntin and peckin
hope this answers some of your questions.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Dead Eye Dick,
No offense intended but AK is usually "short" for Alaska. And up here, "culture" is in the eye of the beholder.
Shoot Straight
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Hi Andy, To find out more about paper patched bullets get "The Paper Jacket", by Paul Matthews.(thats with two "T"'s) He describes paper patches as the first jacketed bullets.Acting as a barrier to the rifling and lead bullet.Not as an aid to grab ahold of the riffling, bullets have no problem with that even grease groove projectiles.Most people use grease groove bullets.Paper patched scores high in the coolness factor though 8) check this out. http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Dead Eye Dick

Post by Dead Eye Dick »

Bear Bait
I was poking at Arkansaw (you can spell it a lot of ways - most of the folks in that state cant read no ways).
:twisted:
I've been to Alaska - plenty of culture there, good fishing too.
TriKiDiki
The more I practice the luckier I get.
A wanna B Shilo Rifle Owner.
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

I have been to Alaska before, downed planes all over the tundra, couldn't turn around without a bear getting into your kit....couldn't wait to get back to Texas & get a plate of enchiladas.
Regarding the 45-110, I shot a 45-100 regularly & off the mat in the prone position, folks said that it'd move me back a foot everytime I touched one off. And nobody ever accused me of being a light weight (215 pounds). So consensus would lend itself towards the 45-70 or even a 45-90 for a starter gun.
I've settled on a 40-65 for matches & a 40-90 & 50-90 for hunting.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

A couple of notes:

The SPG primer, although it has a lot of good information, is a bit dated in that it seems that GOEX powder has changed somewhat in the move from PA to LA. In those days, compression meant 0.060" or so, and now many people shooting GOEX use 0.200-0.250" for best results. Definitely requires a compression die. On the other hand, many people shoot Swiss 1-1/2 with 0.050" compression or less.

If you can get someone to loan you back issues of the Black Powder Cartridge News, you can gather a lot of good information from them as well.

Clarence
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Or, all back issues may purchased from Black Powder Cartridge news.

When I placed my subscription, I also bought all PRINTED back issues. I did not buy the remaining back issues that are high quality photo copies. I will get them later, I figured there was no rush if they were photo copies as they would always be in stock.

As it stands I have about 50% of all back issues. More than enough to keep me busy for a while.

Regards,

Hal
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

That reading list by Canoe is about as good as you can get. Yes, they do shoot the 45-70 at long distance, 1000 yards +, and it will hunt anything in this country. Good luck and stay on this forum, there is a wealth of info here. I have learned more on this forum than in all the books I've read. One of my favorites is Mike Venturino's "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West". Subscribing to the "Black Powder Cartridge News" is one of the other best things you can do, it not only has excellant articles on our rifles but the list of advertisers is the "Who's Who" of the Black powder world.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Thank you Ken, coming from you that is a compliment.

I may not know "diddly squat", but I am attempting to learn.

Regards,

Hal
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

Although new to the forum, I am not new to guns!! Having been raised in the south I am proud of my collection and my shooting abilities- the rifles are truly some of the most detailed works of art- I stumbled across this forum and am happy to have found such a quality maker.
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

[quote="Stinger"]Although new to the forum, I am not new to guns!! Having been raised in the south I am proud of my collection and my shooting abilities- the rifles are truly some of the most detailed works of art- I stumbled across this forum and am happy to have found such a quality maker.

Trickery succeeds sometimes, but it always commits suicide.[/quote]