Gopher hunting with a Sharps

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rwnblack

Gopher hunting with a Sharps

Post by rwnblack »

I built a breech block, extractor and slip in barrel linner for my 74 Sharps so I can shoot 22 shells in it. I took it out to my parents farm this weekend to shoot gophers and what a great time that was. My son used my 17 hornet and my buddy used a 10/22 but I used my Sharps and it was deadly. If I could see them or part of them, they were toast. I kept up with the others no problem. I think my Shiloh is my new go to gun for gophers.

Here is a 6 shot group at 50 yards.

Here is a post where I show a few pics of the process.

Has anybody else used their 74 for gophers?
rwnblack

Re: Gopher hunting with a Sharps

Post by rwnblack »

Sorry forgot to attach the link to the forum where I posted more on the conversion.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/s ... conversion
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Very nicely done!
Real gun powder is black.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Wow! That is awesome!
BFD

Post by BFD »

I don't think the gophers are too concerned, but the ground squirrels sure should be worried. That thing shoots pretty darn well. I like it. Esp with that functional extractor.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

What a great picture!!!! Not too often you see a Sharps and gophers in the same frame! Great job with the insert!
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Eventually I intend to get out with mine and try to put the hurt on some prairie dogs, with and without the .22 liner.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Going next week for a 3 day hunt. I will be using an 1885 Browning in 22 Hornet most of the time, 10-22 the rest of the time. :D
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

45-70 Shiloh, .458" pure lead roundball, a very light charge of bullseye, enlarged flash hole, great for small game. Virtually silent.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

Round ball sounds lovely like a cool idea. As a kid I shot a lot of gophers with light loads of RedDot and that was good fun and no recoil. Might have to load some light loads for my Sharps and try them out again.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Weather on the first hunt was cold, rainy and just plain lousy. Might make another trip next week as the forecast is warm and sunny.

We are after sage rats/whistle pigs which are a lot smaller than ground squirrels. Had trouble hitting them at 150 yds in the wind. Might take the 222 this time.
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

There is a 22 BPCR shoot next weekend so I sighted this in at 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200 yards on scaled down swingers. I can't believe how accurate it is. Once on target it shoots much better than I can see. I took a freind to the range that has done very little shooting for a few years and he was smoking them as well. Even off hand and the chickens it is deadly! I think I hit 7 in a row when I figured I better not push my luck any futher. The shoot this weekend should be a lot of fun. This rifle is definitely a keeper.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

rwnblack

Apparently you cannot view your forum site link unless you register?
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

That maybe the case. I can post some of the pics of the process on this site when I get the chance.
rwnblack

Post by rwnblack »

Here are some pics of the process. It has turned out to be more work than I thought so probably wouldn't do it again.i started with 1x2" mild steel bar. Next is to casharden it and build the slip in 22 liner.