Ceramic Media

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RPM

Ceramic Media

Post by RPM »

I just recieved my ceramic media kit from Cabelas and my first batch of brass is tumbling as we speak. I have a question about the kit from Cabelas and the other media people have spoken about on this forum. I remember reading a post about them being pacman shaped, but the ones in the Cabelas kit are cylindrical with angle cuts at each end. They don't seem like they would be small enough to clean the primer pockets. Did I go wrong with this kit? What does the other kit include? I guess I could just wait a couple of hours and let the result speak for itself.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Sounds like you got the right stuff. Just let it do its thing and I think you will be happy with the results. The media will get the primer pockets clean.
Lee Stone
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

it fits into the primer pockets jusdt fine :lol: --but I have noticed that once in a great while it will get crosswise in the bottom of the case and if you don't see it you will find it if you run the decapping pin into it--I usually resize after tumbling
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

RPM, you got the right stuff. I never clean my primer pockets anymore, but as Rich said be sure and check to make sure all the cylinders are out of your brass, they will get stuck in there sometime. You will be amazed at how good your brass looks after using it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
RPM

Post by RPM »

Thanks guys. It does work wonderfully. I am using a Dillon CV-500, although I have read that the tumbler works better than a vibratory cleaner. Some advice though. Don't use the stuff on 30 caliber brass. I threw some '06 brass in just for fun and the media got clogged in every one. I ruined a couple of cases getting it out because 4 pieces of media fit nice and snug into a .30 caliber hole.
Grundy Burns

Post by Grundy Burns »

RPM,
FWIW, I called Dillon and asked if it would be ok to use ceramic media in the CV-500. They told me that it would be alright to use ceramic media dry. They said that if used wet, water would seep into the holes drilled in the bowl for the mounting screws and get into the electrical stuff down there. Since I had also heard other stories about fires and such from using the wet media in vibratory tumblers that are made to be used dry, I decided to go with a drum tumbler (Thumlers model B) and it works just fine.... quieter than the Dillon with dry media too.
One of the other guys who sell this media says that 38-55 is the smallest case that works with the stuff. He also says not to use it with bottleneck cases.
"Should have steered clear of that kid".....
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

It was hearing about a vibrator catching fire while using wet media that made me order a Thumblers model B. One speculation is that the motor was not up to the weight of the wet ceramic media. I think he had a sealed vibrator and had ruled out liquid into the electric motor. Am I ever glad I did get the Thumble. Much greater capacity. Quieter, and does a better job in half the time of my vibrator. Now I use the vibrator, with walnut media, to polish my Confederate belt buckles. Does a nice job. A little dusty though.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've used Dave's media on .43 spanish brass (bottleneck) and it worked fine. I doubt if you could use it on any much smaller though.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Hey-

Anyone know if this stuff will work ok in a RCBS Sidewinder tumbler?

The container is made from some sort of plastic.

Thanks

David
kevin harris

Post by kevin harris »

I dont see why it wouldn't. I had to adjust the amount of media in my tumblerto get the proper amount of agitation. I filled the drum with Harlan Sage's media cleaner and H2o let it run for 24 hrs., then removed enough media to give just over a half a drum. I then added the cleaning solution to just cover the media, added brass to fill the drum, seal and roll.

Hope this helps :D :D
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Hi Fella's

When using the ceramic in a vibrator bowl tumbler you want a smaller amount of water/solution. If you see it splashing around, you have too much in which it decreases the amount of vibration (the liquid absorbs alot of vibration). Of course the results will vary depending on your brand and model of vibrator. When using a rotary barrel type tumbler you want to fill with water/solution to the mid point after filling with media.
It is also necessary to rinse the media in a wire screen basket after each batch.
You will get faster results with a rotary barrel type tumbler compared to most vibrators, unless you have spent more $$ a bigger & faster vibrator.

If you use the Sagebrush ceramic media, it requires a 24 hr break-in period. Without the break-in period your first few batches of brass will have a dull or satin finish rather than a shinny finish.

One more thing I must say is, I don't recommend this media in small bottle neck cases. They lodge in the bottle necks and can be difficult to shack out. However, I am currently testing some ceramic media to use specificly for the small cases. I should have the final results in a couple of weeks. I have already tested it on 243 cal rounds and works really well.
If anyone has any questions about ceramic media, I'll be happy to help.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!