"Billy Dixon"; Signed by Olive K. Dixon

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Canoe112

"Billy Dixon"; Signed by Olive K. Dixon

Post by Canoe112 »

For any of you guys that are holding too much cash; you may be interested in this. I'd negotiate the price, if was going to purchase it. I'd start at $1,200 with a goal of settling at $1,500.

It is "really cool".

BARDE, FREDERICK S.
LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF "BILLY DIXON" OF ADOBE WALLS, TEXAS PANHANDLE. A NARRATIVE IN WHICH HE DESCRIBES MAN THINGS RELATING TO THE EARLY SOUTHWEST
FREDERICK S. BARDE 1914 1STst ed. 320 PGS pages. THIS PARTICULAR COPY IS A PRESENTATION COPY "TO CHS. A SIRINGO. WITH BEST WISHES OF OLIVE K. DIXON. MISSOURRI, TEXAS. JUNE 22-1923" GRAFF 183; HOWES B135; ADAMS HERD 204; ILLUS, NEW ENDPAPERS

Price: US$ 3000.00

Bookseller: Jordan Antiquarian Books, 1349 Sheridan Ave., Cody, WY, U.S.A., 82414

Regards,

Hal
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Canoe112:

This may be a dumb Question but, Who is Olive K Dixon? Wife, Daughter.......

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Texas Shooter,

It's not a dumb question at all buddy.

It was my understanding that Olive was his wife. But, when I looked to confirm that supposed fact, I could not locate the confirmation. So off hand I don't know where I got the belief it was his wife.

I will keep checking for confirmation.

I have dispatched this:

"Please advise:

Is Olive K Dixon the wife or daughter of Billy Dixon? What is the relationship.

Also, how do we know the signature is authentic.

Please advise asap.

Thank you very much."

When I get a response I will post back.

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Texas Shooter,

It does, indeed, appear that Olive K Dixon was the wife of Billy Dixon.

http://www.rra.dst.tx.us/c_t/people/okDIXON.cfm

Best Regards,

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Canoe112/Hal:

Thanks for the quick turn around.

Your information is good. Who did you send your question too, the book seller? or did you use a search engine and make the query?

Do you know the provenance on the book and autograph?

Is her signature itself of historical importance or of association value?

From your first post, The book is currently for sale through the book seller, is this correct?

or

The listing supplied was what came with the book from the current seller.

I know this probably sounds nuts, but I'm trying to have a clear understanding of the information.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Texas Shooter,

Heck no, your inquires do not sound nuts. You sound like you are careful and perform "due diligence". We'd get along fine.

The citations I posted I had found on my own using a search engine.

The inquiry has been sent to the Bookseller directly, although I do not have their eMail address at this time.

I do not know provenance, but certainly that would have to be identified prior to purchase.

I cannot confirm the signature is valid. In my mind, that is where the major issue lies. What I had intended to do was to go to the library at a major Texas University and try to locate documents with Olive K Dixon's original signature. I was then to going to use what little charm I have left to persuade the Librarians to make good quality copies of all original signatures.

I am not a handwriting expert. On the other hand I work in an area where forgeries are not uncommon and have had people try to duplicate my signature twice. Therefore, in the last 25 years I have become really good at verifying signatures. Could I be fooled by the false signature of some true "artisan"? Yeah, probably.

Or, you could hire a handwriting expert, if the provenance was not sufficient to make you feel comfortable.

To me the signature has significant monetary matter. How much, that value is depends upon each guy. FMV is whatever something will sell for at a given moment. Beat them hard on lack of provenance (if true), deduct cost of your expert from the price. Offer a price so low you could justify paying $800 more. But, not so low that they walk from the table after hearing your first offer. Picking the opening price that balances between what you want to start at and if it will make them walk from the table is ALWAYS the hardest part of any negotiation.

The book, to my knowledge, is still available from the Bookseller I supplied information on. Sorry no phone number. The listing also came from the bookseller.

I am a bit of an antiquarian. I am finishing a complete Louisa May Alcott, 1st Editions, Library for one that is dear to me.

I just got in The Sharps Rifle by Winston O. Smith, 1st Edition, Victory Edition, Fine Condition, appears never read. Cost $55.00

Fine to Very Good 1st Editions of Billy Dixon seem to run between $700-$800, without inscription.

I have been watching this Dixon book for several months and was intending to buy it. But, I got some pretty bad news about two weeks ago and ALL money is being diverted. So no toys for me. No books, no Sharps, no "nada".

I thought if I could not buy it I would see if one of the guys on this Board would be interested. If you buy it, maybe give me an informal first option to purchase at then current FMV if you ever decide to sell.

Besides, the book should come home to Texas.

If one of you buys it, I will have mixed emotions. But, at least it will find its way to one of our guys and someone that is worthy of it.

Best Regards,

Hal
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Canoe112:

Sorry it took so long to return your post. I have a pretty extensive collection of reference books for validating signatures. So far, I have not had any luck.

I to enjoy collecting first editions and signed editions. If you could get the book for about $800.00 then even if the signature is bad, you still have a decent deal on your book.

I would put the burden of proof on the bookseller.

Your Alcott collection sounds great. How long did it take you to complete it?

What areas do you specalize in?

I hope your "emergency" concludes quickly for you, with a favorable resolution.

What dealers do you normally do business with?

Take Care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Texas Shooter,

I broke my computer, so I just got on line now. This is why you should not attempt to disassemble you laptop when you are bored sitting in a darn Hotel room. I wish I never went out to buy the Number 9 Torx Driver.

I tried to "fix" a minor problem and thereby broke the cable to the Track Pad. I found a Mouse a few hours ago. I plugged it in and bingo it worked, no system preferences needed changing. I really like running OS X.

I do not yet have the Alcott Library complete. I am buying only first editions and it will take time to find them all.

I did find an entire Alcott Library from the 1800's in Toronto. But, I only bought all First Editions, the remainder were second editions.

My specialty the last ten years has been Dictatorships and Native water craft, mostly "birch barks" and ocean worthy dug outs.

I've read most good historical works on the Third Reich. I have a First Edition of the "Rise and Fall". I refuse to read any of the Nazi propaganda such a Mien Kampf.

I've read most modern analysis of the Soviets. I have some original printings by Lenin and Stalin. They did not mark their works with editions numbers, so they may be First Editions. where the devil else are you going to learn about Dialectical Materialism. What a BS concept.

I just received a First Edition (1943) of Sharps Rifle by W O Smith. I just received a rare First Edition of the Biography of Josef Stalin printed in 1950 by the Leningrad Institute. This was printed during Stalin's lifetime and, as such, is really his Autobiography. It was printed during the "Doctor's Plot", the beginning of Stalin's last purge. The Purge was defeated by Stalin's murder by Beria, Kruschev and Molotov.

It was printed in Moscow, in 1950, in English. Which tells me it printed for the ComIntern for distribution to "fellow travelers" in the West.

I have some first editions of TTeckov (Checkov) in English. (Transliteration issue.)

I am a friend of the "last canoe maker" of the Ahouset people, cousins to the Makah. The Ahouset live on their island off the coast of BC. Carl gave me a traditional paddle identical to what his people have used on whale hunts for at least 8,000 years, more or less. I am the only guy outside of the tribe to have one.

So I currently study Dictatorships, Canoes, and now Sharps. In the past I have studied many things.

The "emergency" if bad, means I will not be buying a Sharps. It may mean ALL efforts must to summiting and overnighting on top all of my remaining personal target Peaks over 14,000 ft ASAP. It may mean I will not climb 5 of the 7 Sisters.

I was originally hoping to join the Sharps community soon and knock off all target Peaks over the next 10-20 years, including at least 5 of the 7 sisters. But, time may not permit that.

One of my Friends summited Vinson Massif the highest Peak in the Antarctic with Vinson on, as I recall, on Vinson's 80th Birthday. I may be denied that ability. They made a National Geo about my buddy's climb with Vinson.

But, I've already been reprimanded for not talking about BPCR. So enough of that. I was just trying to answer your questions.

Regarding the signature. I have twice hired some top Private Investigators in Dallas. Firm founded by John Connally's former body guard. I could probably find the file and their phone numbers somewhere. They could get a top handwriting expert in Texas.

Let me know if you need help on that. I've got over twenty years of data stored. I can probably trace down the firm's name and number.

They are expensive, but very good at many things.

Best Regards,

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

"It may mean ALL efforts must to summiting......."

Should read,

"It may mean ALL efforts go to summiting........"
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Ty,

I CANNOT get PM to work.

I have IMPORTANT information.

Please eMail me direct.

Hal
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Canoe112:

An email has been sent.

Some of the areas I have been collecting include:

Aviation/Space: Signed by Earhart, Lindburg, Post, Gatty, Rickenbacker (sp), Galland, Bader, Tibbits, Armstrong, Yeager, Mercury 7 etc.

Science/Inventors: Edison, Ford, Browning, Einstein, Teller, Freud, Darwin, Colt, Newton ect.

Literature: Hemmingway, Steinbeck, Harper Lee, King, Rice, Paine etc.

There have been several books signed by William Cody, Oakley and James that I have regreted missing, but there's always tomorrow.

Anyway, hope this post doesn't get under anybody's skin, but it is interesting learning about some of the interest of the people who frequent this site.

Take Care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Ty,

That is VERY impressive.

You are the right guy for the Dixon volume.

Hal
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

In the eary 1960's I was stationed at The Officer Candidate School USMC, Quantico, Va. One day at the station Post Office, I purchased a full page of project mercury stamps. As good luck would have it, I was able to have them signed "GOOD LUCK DOC, LtCol JOHN GLENN"
I have only a block of four remaining. It seems my nephew used them to mail christmas cards. He values his life and will not come around me any more.
Trigger Dr
jim Milner :( :( :x :evil: :evil: :evil:
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Trigger Dr.

Ouch!! I hate to hear that. Your nephew someday will regret doing that, if he doens't already.

It's amazing what someone can aquire over their lifetime if they will try a lttle bit each day.

Thanks for the story, sorry about your loss.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"