About to try Paper Patching

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rick Crabtree

Post by Rick Crabtree »

KHR
I use a PP mould made by Tom Ballard. I had him make it to my specification. At the base it is about .4445" and tapers to about .440" .8" up the bullet where the patch stops. Resulting in a patched bullet aroud .452 tapering to .448 depending on alloy.
How deep to seat a bullet is proportional to the diameter and configuration of the bullet. I seat so that the bullet is just BARELY touching. But be careful if you don't have a good lube subsecuent rounds may be hard or impossible to chamber.
My loads are (45-90) 90 grains Swiss 1 1/2 Winchester large pistol primers
Walters .010" wads. .128" grease cookie with my own lube. The bullets are seated about .300" in the case.
So far Norma 45 basic brass have produced the best groups over Starline or Bell formed brass. I think this is because when cuttin down the norma 45 basic all way the back to 2.4" it is results in thicker walls.(.013" vs .011") Cases so made and loaded with .458" gg bullets will not chamber in this rifle. But with the .451" PP bullets it somewhat recreates the old Sharps PP chambers. Some of the Sharps PP chambers were very tight and designed only for bore diameter bullets. Here what I think I may have created is a simular situation by using thicker brass. Which means less "slop".
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Leadslinger, forgot to mention in a previous post that if you need a good lube ribbon extruder, check out the model made by Cabine Tree. I bought one last year, and it is the cat's meow so to speak. It is easily adjustable for lube ribbon thickness, but it also extrudes the lube onto a sheet of waxed paper. The device itself holds the wax paper, and feeds it out at the same time as the lube so that it is very consistant. It can bee filled with melted lube, and holds enough for a great number of rounds. :lol: The also make a lead hardness tester that doubles or triples as a run out gauge, checks case thickness, and bullet concentricity. Both tools are reasonably priced, and I wouldn't be without mine. The lead hardness tester costs about the same as the Saeco but does a lot more for the money. :shock: Randy
Randy Ruwe