45/110 reloading

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BillR

45/110 reloading

Post by BillR »

All help is appreciated! I will be sending money for my #1 sporter Friday.
Question # 1- If I use Goex cartridge powder, do I still compress, if so how much? Also do I use a drop tube?
Question # 2- I will be using this rifle primarily for hunting here in SE Mo. What size barrel do I need? Standard octagon or heavy octagon? The sights I have ordered are full buckhorn with blade front. The good tang sights will come later. Do you guys use 550 grain bullets or is it like centerfire rifles, each rifle is it's own.
Any and all info would be great. Also I would like a 34 inch barrel, cool? :idea:
Freedom First
"I'm the NRA"
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

yes drop tube the powder,how much to compress your gun will tell you.in my 45 2 7/8 i am starting to get good results with 106 grs of 1f goex in norma brass with a lyman 535 gr postell.cartridge will run a bit faster but faster means more kick and the lighter the gun means more kick. i have a 34in heavy barrel with a recoil reducer in the stock and the military butt plate and with a sholder sheild my wife can handle it.more of a push than a punch. good luck
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

1 more thing i forgot my gun weighs almost 15 pounds with all that stuff mite be a bit heavy to carry around much mite want to go with a 32 in standard oct barrel for some weight control still should be managable.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

BillR,

I would go for a 30 inch barrel for Hunting the 34 is a tad too long for a good hunting Sharps. It works great for the lay down LR shooting that my 45-110 has on it.

As for powders:

Fg is where its at for the 45-110 PERIOD. FFg in loads of around 85 or so grains works well for Kirk but no more then that amount. Fouling is the main problem here.

I most likely have put more rounds down the 45-110 then anyone living at this time. I have tried just about everything that wont work and a few that do. With a 500 to 540 grain bullet a full case of Fg (around 106 to 108 grs will get you well over the 1300 fps mark and make all the boom and knock down you will need in a hunting rifle.

My own personal Hunter is the Business Rifle with a 28 inch heavy round barrel with Shotgun butt and is in 45-110. This rifle will do all that I require of it for a hunting arm.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Kenny,

That Business rifle must kick pretty good, they aren't terribly guns to begin with! :shock: I think the Business Rifles are pretty cool. I would love one in 50-70.
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Oops, ment to say they aren't terribly heavy guns! :oops: