New brass and load development

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

New brass and load development

Post by pete »

I know this will sound like a stupid question but here goes. Will new brass give reliable information as to accuracy comparison of loads for bp cartridge? I want to start developing a silhouette load and at the same time I've got 150 new cases I want to start using. I have about 90 cases I've used in my Lonestar rollingblock for hunting for about 3 yrs. so it's been awhile since I've shot new brass and can't remember the results I got then and I want to start getting these new ones ready. I know fire formed brass is better accuracy wise and comparing new brass loads with ones using fire formed ones wouldn't give accurate results so I wouldn't do that. Also my Shiloh has a real tight chamber compared to the Lonestar so I have to size cases most of the way so they'll chamber. I compared a resized case to a new one and they're almost identical dim. wise at .700 and 1.5 in from the edge.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Pete,

I've shot new cases in serious matches when I had a new rifle and didn't have enough time to fire-form all my brass. I've gotten good accuracy. I'd work up my load in new brass and then load it in the remaining brass, and check the load separately in fire-formed brass. My .45-90 uses 2 grains more powder to get the same compression in fire-formed brass than in new brass.

Clarence
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Pete, Last year at Kenny Wasserburger's Wy, Territorial Championship, I shot brand new, unfired, not annealed brass in .40-65 cal. Brand was Starline. In the 300 and 600 yd competition, which is the only competition that I shot this load in, I came in First. I was beat out of overall for the day by Mr Don Johnson. He had more X's at 600 yds than I did. We both had the same score. Don't be afraid to shoot new brass, you will fire form them when you shoot, and they should, hopefully, improve from that point on.

Make sure you check the OAL of your loaded rounds when loading for the Shiloh, they don't have sloppy chambers, and the throat is what it should be, not overly long.

I would check each case before loading by chambering it, and then closing the breach. Any that don't chamber fully should be full length sized, and if that doesn't work, check the case length. Hope this might help, Randy
Randy Ruwe
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys I feel better about it. I was worried that a load that shot good with the new brass might not do as well when fire formed. If you guys don't worry about it then I sure won't.
Clarence; I was wondering about the smaller capacity with the new brass. I'll keep that in mind. I guess when I find a load I like and if it doesn't work as well with fireformed cases I'll add enough to equal the compression and see if that helps.
Omaha Poke; You're right this chamber is tight. Tight enough that I have to almost full length size to chamber rounds. In fact it even sizes the new brass a little. Like you said, hopefully it'll getter better after fireforming.