45-70 dies vs 45-70 BPCR dies

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Doc Contender

45-70 dies vs 45-70 BPCR dies

Post by Doc Contender »

Is there a difference? Just purchased a used 1874 C-Sharps 45-70. After reading the forums, my understanding is that when loading with black powder, the the bullet should be able to be seated by hand. My question is, does the 45-70 BPRC case expander expand the case wider for the cast bullet to seat without resistance?

Thanks for the Info
Doc Contender
Bob Bloyer

Post by Bob Bloyer »

Doc,
Depends on the size of your expander plug, size of finished bullet and how much resizing of the case you do. For instance, I resize approx .500 " of my fired cases through a rcbs full length resizing die backed out of the press. The bullets are lubed and sized at .459 " and the expanding plug is .457 ". All of the above gives me near as I can tell, about .002 " tension on the bullet. I can seat the bullets by hand with more effort than I care to use so I seat the bullets to the first or 2nd btm driving band and finish them off with a seating die.
The expander plug that came with my rcbs dies measured .455 " which is most likely set up for jacketed bullets. I ordered a .457 " from rcbs years ago and have recently started working with Steve Baldwins floating expander plugs advertised in the most recent copy of the SPG news. Bob