I'm EATIN CROW!!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

I'm EATIN CROW!!

Post by RMulhern »

I was in receipt of my Shiloh LRE in .45/110 about 5 days ago but there has been total chaos here with two deaths in my family and very little time for shooting the rifle. My wife's mom had two severe heart attacks over the weekend and she passed away last evening. My aunt died yesterday morning early....and between hospital visits...there hasn't been much time for fun!

Initial test session with the Shiloh made me sick!! REAL SICK! I was shooting Goex 2F powder using F215 primers with 0.030" veggie wad and at 100 yards shot an amazing group of 22" vertical x 19" horizontal and getting all kinds of "leading" in the process! Talk about sick! Needless to say....I was fit to be tied! Even wrote Kirk an email that something had to be amiss with this rifle! :( :cry: :(

Well....after talking with someone/folks what have more experience with this "animule" than I do....thanks to their help......I'M HAVING TO EAT CROW!! Ain't nothing wrong with the rifle at all; it just needed to be fed the right stuff!

After making 4 changes.....to a different Goex powder, changing primers, seating depth and wad......and another test session....I'm SMILING BIG TIME!! :lol: :D :lol: At the next test session after shooting a fouling shot....this rifle proceeded to shoot 5 shots into a group that I could cover 4 shots with a 25 cent piece...and the 5th shot about 1/2" to the right of the clustered 4!! :lol: :D :lol: WHAT A TURNAROUND!!

What I've learned is.....that unless you're using the right components....the rifle may not shoot but when you find the right "stuff".....you may be in for a BIG SURPRISE!!

I had to write Kirk an email telling him to just disregard my initial "gripe"! The other thing...I thought I already knew was.....KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT TILL YOU'RE SURE OF SOMETHING!!

Thanks Shiloh!! :lol: :D :lol:
Bill C.

Post by Bill C. »

Sharpsman,

Can ya let us in on your "secrets" there a little?!! What made the difference?

Not that I have one, but just in case...you never know! :D
Bill C.-Shooting Birds in Oregon
Todd Birch

....eating crow....

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Sharpsman

"Crow is a dish best eaten warm." Cowboy Logic

I've eaten a bit of it myself; usually after I've taken one foot out'n my mouth in order to insert t'other......

Ride tall - shoot straight!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rhumbline

Post by Rhumbline »

Sharpsman,

Sorry about your losses.

I recently ordered my first BPCR also in 45-110 and know little about this kind of shooting apart from what I'm learning here and from the books. Like Bill C., I'm wondering if you can share some of the details of your errors and corrections?

Thanks,

Rhumbline
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

S M ! If your going to shoot BP loads in the 1400 to 1700fps velocity range you will need a 1 to 20 to a 1 to 16 alloy bullet ! JAGG
JAGG
RMulhern

Eatin Crow

Post by RMulhern »

JAGG

?????????????????? :?: :?: :?:
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Sharpsman I'm on the verge of ordering a -110, could you please share the load that did so well for you with us?? Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
RMulhern

Load

Post by RMulhern »

Ken

1. BA brass trimmed to 2.875"
2. Goex 1F 105 grs. LOT #01-75 Compression at around 0.330".
3. Rem 9 1/2 primers
4. LDPE 0.060" wad
5. 550 gr. PJ Creedmoor seated 0.020" off the lands
6. Brass fire-formed and then FL resize die backed off so that the interior of the case neck where the bullets bearing surface rest is brought down to 0.456"; 0.002" under bullet OD. Bullets sized and lubed to 0.458".
7. Last but not least.....HOLD REAL HARD! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks I'm going to print this out and save it, I really like #7. :lol:
Shiloh Rules!!
KHR

Post by KHR »

Sharpsman
thanks for the load info, this provides good starting data for working up a load for my 110 when it arrives.
two questions:
what alloy are ya casting, 20-1 0r 30-1?
did you case anneal?
thanks
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
RMulhern

Load

Post by RMulhern »

KHR

I shoot as near to 25-1 as possible! A little variance there however....IMO doesn't hurt!

Yes...I anneal my cases!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

That brings a question to mind. I have all my lead in 1:30 but would like to try 1:20. Has anyone already done the math to figure how much tin to add to 10 lbs of 1:30 to make it 1:20?? :roll:
Shiloh Rules!!