bullet storage

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

bullet storage

Post by Todd Birch »

When I'm on a roll and both the mould and I are hot, I tend to cast a lot of bullets.
What is the best way of storing them - sized and lubed or as cast?

I have heard that lead 'ages' and changes in the process.

Todd

"...and yes, it's true what they say of war and war's alarms.

But oh, that I was young again, and held her in my arms."
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Todd

I use Dillons plastis .45 ammo boxes.I like the 100 round boxes,just right for 100 round lots per casting sesion.
I wont add alloy till I get 100 cast for uniformaty in weight per 100.

Kurt
Todd Birch

bullet storage

Post by Todd Birch »

Thanks Lead Pot!

But, are you storing them 'as cast' or sized and lubed?

Yeah, I can't be bothered to cast less than 100 a session. Not worth the effort.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Todd

I lube when I load.

Kurt
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

I store mine sized and lubed (of course their not stored for long and in a temperature controlled envirement). I've found the best thing to keep them in so far is the plastic trays that come in 40 S&W Blazer boxes. I shoot quite a few of these out of my Glock and these are by far the best trays for putting 45 cal bullets in I have found so far.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Sorry Todd I did'nt answer your whole question.

my bullets drops out of the moulds .002 under bore for the nose and groove for the driving bands.

Kurt
Todd Birch

.40 S&W???

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Buckeye Shooter

Lets see....that oughta be about 30 grains of FFFg you can cram into a .40 S&W case.
What kind of a wad are you using? How many rounds do you get off before the Glock goes kaputt?

(snicker, snicker.....)

Todd
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Ya know Todd they say a Glock will shoot anything. Those big bullets are just a little harder to chamber. :shock:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Any suggestions for 50 cal?

Thanks

David
Todd Birch

Suggstions for .50 calibre

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey David

Do you mean a .50 calibre '63 percussion rifle or carbine?

My '63 Military Rifle shoots well with .515 pan lubed bullets and 55 grains of cartridge grade Goex.
I breechseat the bullets and the combustible paper envelope goes in the chamber without any loss of powder from the shearing of the gas plate.

My BEST and most accurate rounds to date are made up with the same bullet rolled into a very authentic looking cartridge with a .54 calibre Pyrodex pellet, 60 gr. equivalent.
It is necessary to either puncture tha paper base of the round with an awl or peel off the paper to avoid hangfires. The pellets have a coating of blackpowder on the base and a hole through them to aid ignition.

It ain't traditional, but it works! It ain't traditional to use electronic scales, powder dispensers and other high tech gadgetry either, so we can take the flak from the purists.

Todd
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Todd-

Sorry. I was not clear. This is for a model '74 in 50-90. A few lines up they were talking about lubed bullet storage in ammo boxes. Thought someone might have found something that will hold/store 50 cal.

Thanks for the response.

David
Todd Birch

.50 calibre bullet storage

Post by Todd Birch »

David

Right now I'm standing mine in those plastic trays like you see on the Dillon progressive reloaders.
Cheap like borscht at Wal Mart.

They stack on top of each other too.

Todd
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I store mine in wooden boxes sized to hold 200 bullets (20 rows, 10 per row), which is my goal every time I fire up the pot. I lube when I load.

Clarence
dm3280

Bullet storage

Post by dm3280 »

For 45 cal bullets I use plastic PVC pipe. I can size and lube bullets and slide them into the 1/2 inc PVC pipe and cap both ends. I have several cut at about 2 ft lengths and can sort my bullets as well. I mark on the outside of the tube the bullet weight, alloy, etc. With the end caps on it keeps them dust free. The only thing you have to be careful of is not letting the bullets slide on top of each other very hard. I slowly tip the tubes to extract or load the bullets into each tube. I then have a 4 in PVC tube about 1 1/2 ft tall with a wooden base that I store all the 1/2 PVC tubes in. When I go to load I find the tube with the bullet weight and style I want and tip it over until the bullets slide out..
bottleneck dave

Post by bottleneck dave »

After a casting sesion I, cast A lot also I put them in a 1# coffee can after they have cooled. I then lube as required.