how to identify rolling block rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve crawford

how to identify rolling block rifle

Post by Steve crawford »

I have a Remington rolling block rifle and the only markings are 7 mm on the barrel and the Remington marking on the top tang. It looks rust free. I know it is a #5 action and has a ejector not an extractor. Looks complete as a military rifle. Good bore and no cracks or dings in the stock. I thank it is from South America somewhere. I can't find any other markings on the rifle. Would it be worth much? :?: :?: :?:

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Longrange

Re: how to identify rolling block rifle

Post by Longrange »

Hi Steve, A few photo's would be nice. Vic
sass2924

Post by sass2924 »

I paid $410 for one about a month ago. Similar to yours, 1902. #5 from a South American country.

forums.gunboards dot com/forumdisplay.php?75-The-Trader-WTS-and-WTT-listing-board#/topics/976842
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

#5 roller actions in good shape regularly go for $400.00- $450.00 as do the Swedes and Norwegians. I bought a complete rifle just as you describe last year for $500.00 and it is a good shooter.
They're plenty strong but do not handle escaping gas well at all. If they ever blow up it is because of case failure and escaping gas not pin or block back thrust trouble.
I really like rollers for their simplicity and ease of use.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I like the 1902, with its rotary extractor, better than the 1994 with sliding extractor. But, the springy extractor doesn't work nearly as well as if you make a new one using full thickness stock to replace the thinned spring. No tendency to jump the extractor.

Clarence
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Otherwise known as Mexican Army rifles. Paid 25.00 for two back in the sixties....I know, I got took! Have one left to build upon.........
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

[attachment=0]6487223_orig.jpg[/attachment]
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

[attachment=0]2932011_orig.jpg[/attachment]This rifle has Treebone Carving select black walnut.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

True Clarance, you may remember a couple years back when I made a solid rotary extractor and shared photos of it on here. It was a real job to get the eccentrics worked out in steel. I had to make a separate fitting breech to mate it correctly to the barrel involving the eccentric.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The spring extractor is made necessary when rimless cases are used such as the 7 mm Mauser in the #5 1902 rollers. They move around the head of the case and spring into the extractor groove when the breech is closed. Rimmed cases just set over the top of the lip of the extractor and both move down into the rim seat of the barrel.