LBT On-line catalogue

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ray Newman

LBT On-line catalogue

Post by Ray Newman »

Log on @:
http://www.leverguns.com/lbt/index.htm

Lists the easy -to-use LBT lead hardness tester for US$90.00
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Ray,
Some good basic info on that site. In the lube section, there's an interesting tip regarding leading removal. They suggest trying bullets with gas checks using lighter loads. H'mm, it kinda makes sense - never would of thought of that.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I was also intrigued by their lead removal procedure. But you have to be using their lube. But I must say that I am a bit skeptical about their advice to never clean the bore if using their LBT lube. They don't mention what kind of powder is involved, whether black powder or smokeless powder. I just am not ready yet to leave any black powder fouling in my barrels to gather in and hold moisture to the metal.
Lee Stone
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Lee,
couldn't find any references to black either, then did a search on the entire web site for black powder, nothing. The closest was one reference to a muzzle loader. Strange they just don't come right out and say it, but they gotta be talking smokeless.
I tried that 'bore/butter seasoning - never clean the barrel ever again thing' with one of my muzzle loaders until after a couple weeks i ran a cleaning patch down the barrel and it came out a peculiar sh1t brown color. :x
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
TJW

Post by TJW »

Guys, I am familiar with LBT and, yes, they are 100% focued on smokeless.

His book on lead bullets provides some great insight into heat treating to change bullet hardness, on what factors cause leading and how to avoid it, and on what factors contribute most to accurracy with cast bullets. His soft nose bullets sound like the best hunting bullet idea yet. He sells the molds or the bullets can be made by tinkering wtih casting bi-alloy bullets in standard molds. His molds sound great, too. If we can get them with the grease groove cut large enough for shooting black? TJW
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ironsight,

I was conscious of the lack of reference to blackpowder, I just was not certain he was excluding it. But to tell the truth, I could not be comfortable leaving a gun barrel fouled with smokeless powder without cleaning it. Cleaning a gun is just not that big of a chore to me.
Lee Stone