Which primer do you use??

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sackett

Which primer do you use??

Post by sackett »

I have been wondering what primers the rest of you have been using? I have been using Federal Mag rifle, but was think of trying something else and was looking for an easier way to choose the correct fork in the road, rather than to buy a ton of primers. I know I sound cheap, but I am going to need more primers soon and money is tight right now, and heck, you guys know the rest.....

I tried to post a poll for the answer, but even if I list only: Remington, Winchester, Federal, & CCI, I get a response of having too many poll options. And then it won't let me post the poll. So, sorry about not having a poll to use on my question.

Thanks,
Sackett
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Sackett,
Sorry, to be the bearer of bad tidings old son, but you will have to do a little testing to find the proper answer to your question. I have tested WLRM, WLR, WLP; Remington 91/2M, 91/2, 2/12; Federal 215, 210m, 150; CCI BR2, 200, 300. My current match loads are all sparked by CCI BR2s. However, when I run out of this lot of Swiss I may have to re-test every thing above to find the best load for the new lot. There really aren't any short cuts. Every rifle is kind of a law unto itself. You should be able to pick up a 100 primers for less than $2.00 almost any place.
Good luck, LJ
sackett

Post by sackett »

I know that each gun is different and I every gun is different, but this is my theory of thinking. If I could get say 10 people that say they use CCI and Federal and maybe 2 more use Winchester, but no one says Remington; I would probably start with Federal or CCI. I have noticed that few people mention using Rem primers in articles other than for testing, so it might not be worth testing, except that I have a couple thousand primers from them for my smokeless rifles. I am going to try them, but am hoping for another brand that might show some promise, if a majority of people use them.

I have thought about buying 100 primers of all the companies, but this is what has stopped me so far. If I find that one that is very accurate with the tray of 100 primers, what are the chances that they will be the same (accuracy wise) if I buy the box of 1000, but not of the same batch number? I have always wondered that, which has made me leary on buying on buying anything other than 1000 at a time. This is my reason I sound so cheap. I don't want to spend $20 for a box and not use it but for 100 shots and find something else works better, and not touch the other box again. But if the using differents batches numbers seem to be consistent in shooting in going from a tray of 100 to a box of 1000, I might try that route of buying different trays of primers to experiement. Thanks

Sackett
Buckskinner

primers

Post by Buckskinner »

Sackett

When I picked up my rifle at Big Timber I ask about loads for the cartridge I was chambered for. Kirks ans. was to try this but you will have to fit to the rifle bottom line. He did say that they used to recommend Win. Mag. primers but, they were no longer recommending that because their latest loads were shooting better with Win. Standard primers. That's where I started and have now changed to CCI BR2. Tests have shown that they are very close to Win. standard and I have had improvements in groups with this primer.

I also buy primers by the 100 until I get where I think that I have the right one and go to 1000 after that. This game is one of research and shoot my game!!

Have a good day :wink:
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Radar

Post by Radar »

I have went through the primer game on all of my rifles and have found that certain primers perform well in all calibers and some do not. I use Swiss powder only and shoot silhouette matches at least twice a month. I own a Shiloh 45-90, the silhouette load for it is 70 grs Swiss 1.5, ldpe wad,Jones creedmoor, and CCI BR2 primers. However I also shot nice groups using Winchester Standard Rifle primers. My Shiloh 45-70 load is 60 grs Swiss 1.5,Jones Govt,ldpe wad and FED 150 M pistol primers. I can also use Rem 2 1/2 primers and get good groups. My Browning 40-65 also performs well with FED 150M primers. I have not used Goex in a long time but, CCI BR2 worked the best with it. For some reason pistol primers do well with the 40-65 and 45-70, but the 45-90 likes the CCI BR2 and WLR. Pistol primers are .006 shorter than rifle primers but will be fine in the Shiloh as long as you seat them flush. I have shot pistol primers for 2 years in my 45-70 with no problems. I would not worry about lot # changes on match grade primers. Work up a good load and do alot of shooting.

Radar
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

SKT ! If money is tight in this booming economy that we have , and Fed 215's are working for your loads ! THEN BUY THE FED 215'S ! I use them in all of my BP loads ! JAGG
JAGG
sackett

Post by sackett »

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to get some CCI's and try them out while I still have Feds left. This way I can do a side by side comparison, on the same day with the same conditions.

Sackett
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

In MY rifle, a .38-55 and Swiss, Federal Large Rifle Match gives lower velocity spread and better accuracy than Remington 9 1/2, CCI Large Rifle Magnum, or Winchester Large Pistol.

My coach uses Federal LR Match in one rifle and CCI LR Bench Rest in the other.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Sackett, I used Fed LR standard primers in my .45-70 load, and had good results. Then I tried CCI BR LR primers and had even better scores. I then tried the same load as the first two with Rem LR primers, and got some of the best scores yet. Everything else in the loads were the same except for the primer.

When you buy a box of 100, check to see if the dealer has an ample supply of the primer with the same lot number, if not, go somewhere else. :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Sackett, my gun prefers WLR primers. I started out using Fed 215 but saw a primer test on the Cabintree website and noticed WLR primer were some of the most consistent and tried these and have not looked back. Some friends I know are having good success with CCI BR 2 and also pistol primers. I tried these but at least in my gun, WLR perform best.
Brent

Post by Brent »

THose of you wondering where to start with primers might find the website below to be interesting:
http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_test ... erence.htm

I use WLR primers but I can certainly see a good argument for CCI BR2s in that data.

Brent
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

The primer test was interesting. If the CCI BR2's are promising (SD = 0.2460) based on that data, wouldn't the Winchester WLRM be the better choice (SD = 0.2046)?

Trey
Buckskinner

Primers

Post by Buckskinner »

taw1126

I see your point on the SD, however Kirk has another reason for not recomending them. I suggest you contact him for his explanition. I think his reason is correct. There is more to it than SD.

Keep shootin!
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
pete

Post by pete »

Brent; That's an interesting site on the comparison. Thanks for letting us in on it.
Outrider

primers

Post by Outrider »

Gents,
I had read that site also. For what it's worth I've tried most of those primers in my .45-90 with 1.5fg swiss, etc., etc. So far the CCI primers are showing the most promise(BR2 and 200). I have some Rem.9 1/2 primers that I'll try next. On a different note...using once-fired and neck sized starline brass (I really mean not full length sized), and only compressing the swiss 1 1/2 fg about .180 while seating a Lyman 457125 so the first grease groove is exposed, I'm able to fit almost 90 grains of powder in the case. It's shooting good. Ten rounds into 1 3/4 in. @ 100 yds. I thought one wasn't supposed to be able to get that much powder into that case. There I go thinking again.
Remember....We get the government that we deserve.