Glock43 whoas

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rufus Krile

Re: Glock43 whoas

Post by Rufus Krile »

Never owned a Glock. I currently carry a Ruger LC9 w/ Crimson Trace... after an embarrassing episode with a wild hog disputing my daughter's dog and my Kel-Tec .380 at the same time. I quickly came to the conclusion that a .380 might not be enough. In fairness, it was better than the 1911 locked in my truck 50yds away. The aforementioned dispute ended with an old fat guy in his robe holding an empty pistol as the neighborhood ran out into the sunrise to see who won the gun fight. Like the man said, "Use enough gun."
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

My preference is anything that starts with a 4, 40,41,45,etc. While I own a few different handguns, my carry gun is the S&W M&P in 45acp. An old fella once told me friends don't let friends shoot 9mms. :lol:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm pretty well convinced that is not true with modern social ammo but it certainly was when comparing ball 9mm to ball 45 acp in the old days.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Another thing that surprised me was what LEOs looked like the day after taking a 9mm hit in the vest that did not penetrate. They were black and blue from almost their navel to their Adams apple but thankfully still alive ! :lol:
A full power Kieth .44 bullet probably would have killed them from blunt force trauma caving in some ribs !
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The boar black bear I killed last season with a Kieth 250 grain out of a 4 inch 629 ( my rafting and hiking gun) completely penetrated after smashing the spine. They just do not go down unless you cut their wiring!
Red Cent

Post by Red Cent »

45 Colt will work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Cent

Post by Red Cent »

Or a G34
Ghost Kit 2# trigger 10# reaction spring total polish job
and I would not carry it on a bet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Cent

Post by Red Cent »

Actual EDC
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Here is a comparative size difference between a series 80 Colt and the G-43.
New home made trigger on the G-43 minus the soon to be made trigger block.
The G-43 is quite a bit thinner as well.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Another thing I like about the little gun is how low the slide and barrel are over the grip frame which greatly reduces muzzle flip.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Texas Ranger shows up at a wedding wearing a nickel plated pearl handled Colt 1911 in a belt slip holder,

Mother of the bride asks him if he is expecting trouble,

The Ranger tips his hat and says, "No Mam, if I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle."

In the early days of the Texas Border Patrol the rifle of choice for the trackers was an 1895 Winchester Carbine in 30-06, handgun .45 Colt.

I recall a gunfight on the Rio Grande back in the mid 1980,s where a smuggler armed with a Colt 1911 .38 Super got in a dispute with two Border Patrolmen at night on the river bank. The Border Patrol Agent armed with a Glock 19 loaded with Winchester Silvertips first shot struck center of mass on the drug smuggler at about 12 feet from the muzzle. (most gunfights take place less than 21 feet.) The smuggler took cover and continued the fight. The agent shot his Glock dry not hitting the smuggler again and his partner armed with an M-14 hit the smuggler in the shoulder knocking him down. The drug smuggler shot his 1911 dry and crawled off to hide in the cane. When the agents found him he was still alive and alive when they put him in the ambulance. He went to glory at the hospital. A determined individual, especially on meth or cocaine, takes a lot of stopping. When the military and the Border Patrol went to the 9mm the training was two shots to center of mass and one to the head. I carry handguns the caliber of which starts with a 4 .
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

Not all Series 80 Colts are full size Government Models. They come in a number of sizes. While on-duty as a LEO, I carried a Series 70 Commander. Off-duty, I carried the same Officer's Model I previously mentioned and for competition, I use a full size Kimber with two slides. One with Bomar style sights and one sporting an aimpoint for Bullseye. Weight is the only negative in my mind. As mentioned a condition one carry puts some off when viewed in public. A condition one carry is extremely safe and the first time someone will observe that it is in condition one is when it is drawn. I don't open carry. That only makes you a target instead of a surprise.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Carried a 1911 as an LEO-Just told folks that 'condition 1', was how it was meant to be carried. :P
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

4 5/8 barrel ruger, 6 shot in 41 mag loaded with 245gr kieth for first two then 4 with 220gr solids from cutting edge, all loaded to max never been a auto fan or a transfer bar fan.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Good stories and information guys! I've never been in a gun fight and hope to never be but hope I can do what is necessary to save lives when the crap hits the fan. I feel the same way about the element of surprise Woody and carry concealed which is why I chose the G-43. I also worry about over penetration and shots missing intended targets and hitting bystanders hence the open point bullet use instead of ball ammo. My .44 with Keith bullets would go through a couple of people a long ways away and is to much gun for close in fighting which I learned at the CC course is the norm.
When I took the CC course they made a big impression me of the legal and civil implications of a shoot which one must factor in as well before holstering up.
The responsibility is huge when one carries but the current world climate has made it almost mandatory, in my opinion.
Thank God for the Constitution and the NRA!