Elephant powder?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dutch harbor john

Elephant powder?

Post by dutch harbor john »

Hello to the forum. I have several questions about elephant powder.
I have heard it is a moist and clean burning powder. Is it still being manufactured? Also I heard mention a schuetzen powder. Has anyone tried it? How does this new powder compare to the others and in price? I would like to try the Swiss brand but its too pricy for me.
I have been using Goex Cart but was told Goex 2F or Elephant 3F are cleaner burning. The reason I'm asking is our annual powder order is coming up and I would like to try Elephant or Goex 2F. I live on a island and I just can't run down to the local gun store. It is 850 air miles from here.
By the way I shoot the other 74 Sharps. 45-70 with 400 and 500gr bullets.
Any response would be appreciated. Thanks
dhj
Smokin

Elephant powder

Post by Smokin »

DHJ,

Elephant powder was produced in Brazil. The last word in the saga is that the plant has closed and the equipment may have been moved in attempt to restart the production, but that probably will never happen. As I understand it, there may be stocks of this still in the US, but once exhausted, Elephant Powder will not be available again. Schuetzen Powder is manufactured by WANO Schwarzpulver GmbH of Liebenburg, Germany. GOEX Cartridge and 2F are nearly identical. The GOEX Cartridge grade powder is 2F with most of the fines removed and given an additional graphite coating. The velocities from Cartridge should be slightly less than those from 2f because of the lack of the fines.
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
dutch harbor john

Smokin,
Thank you for the info. Guess I'll skip the Elephant.
I think I will try Goex Cart and Goex 2F and see what my rifle likes. The Cart that I have left was made in 1999. Thanks again Smokin. Good shooting.
dhj
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

Wano comes in normal 'F' grades but also we are seing a premium powder 'P' grades. This 'P' has or seems to have a higher energy output.

Swiss powder seems to have the highest output of all and comes in the normal FG,FFG,FFG etc BUT the tins are marked No1, N1.1/2, No2; with No 1 being FFG, and No2 being FFFG etc.

Bit Confusing!
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Dutch Harbor John,

I believe Elephant is still available from Maine Powder House:

http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/

This is where I get my Swiss gunpowder. Their prices include S/H & Hazmat fee. But as was noted above, the stores of Elephant that are currently in country will be the last of it. It may also be available from other distributors that I am not familiar with.
Lee Stone
dutch harbor john

Thanks fellas, I appreciate you all responding. Sure enjoy this forum, full of knowledge and a great bunch of fellow shooters. God bless you all and good shooting.
dhj