"Bucket list" bison

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

D. Taylor Sapergia

"Bucket list" bison

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

We have a local bison herd on the farm of Del and Eileen Myers, here in Prince George, BC. They have an old bull that has been kicked out of the herd by a younger stronger fellow (can hardly believe anything could be as tough as this guy). He's been to the butcher's two years in a row but refused to get out of the trailer, so they bring him home and let him roam. But it's time to make meat, so they asked me to do the deed. They knew I'd taken delivery of my new Shiloh Sharps 45-70 in May, and we all agreed that it was an appropriate end for this majestic old guy.
He's on a farm of 700 acres, and although you can't call it hunting, it was definitely fair chase. Eventually, I was able to get a clean shot at him broadside in some heavy brush.
So I've filled another of my life's bucket list items. Here's a shot of us two old geezers.
100_8312.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rdnck

Re: "Bucket list" bison

Post by rdnck »

Now that is just right and proper all the way around. A great animal with a Sharps. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

That's what got me started on shooting BP Sharps rifles; I was going on a buffalo hunt and it seemed the right way. They deserve respect. Nice buffalo and nice rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia

I just got a whole batch of pictures today and I thought it'd be neat to share a couple. One is the coup de grace at about 80 yards through the heart that finally finished him, and the second, another posed shot, just before the work started.
DSCN0473.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfd

Post by rfd »

congrats but geez, taylor, no fintlock? :mrgreen:
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Looks like on your ammo belt those are (appropriately) Paper Patched bullets.???
beltfed/arnie
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Great photographs of a great day. Thanks for sharing.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Yes, the rifle is 45-70. Load is 84.6 gr. Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, BACo 443530E bullet at 25:1 patched with .0015 onion skin to .449". It is my most accurate load to date, but in this case was overkill as the beast presented at about 80 yards.
D. Taylor Sapergia

rfd: I no longer have a flintlock rifle of adequate calibre for this job. I could have used a nice English sporting rifle by Joseph Lang in .66 cal though, but wanted to "Christen" my new Sharps. As it turned out, I chose the correct arm for the job...bison are unbelievably tough critters. They are un-naturally tenacious of life.
We've been enjoying bison meat all winter...wonderful fare!