Paul Jones mould

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kamotz

Paul Jones mould

Post by kamotz »

Hi all, I just received my new P. Jones mould today.The 45001,Now this is a tool befitting of a Sharps haversack.It came with 5 sample slugs resembling silver jems.All weighed in at 540.8 save one that weighed 540.7 cast in 1/30.I think I'll even keep one as a paper weight. Top notch people and products,I can see why its so hard for the others to keep up with the Jones's.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Kamotz,

You are going to love the way that mould casts too. So far I only have three of Paul's moulds, his 45001, 45003 and 50002. Every one of them casts the same. As long as I do my part, the weights are reasonably consistant, the bullets look like they are made out of silvered plate glass and they realease from the mould so easily they appear to almost jump out of the moulds. Like I said, you are going to love Paul's moulds.
Lee Stone
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Lee-

Have you done much shooting with the Paul Jones 50002?

I have a Hoch 650gr nose pour that is a bear to get up and casting good bullets. Have been thinking about the PJ 50002.

Thanks,

David
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

OK I accept that Paul Jones, Steve Brooks and Steve at Victory moulds have an enviable reputations for producing moulds that cast excellent bullets and shoot tight groups.

To those on the board that have these items, what makes them better than the run of the mill production moulds from Lyman, RCBS etc.

I have a Lyman mould that casts a finished bullet .4594. I do not size this bullet and apart from lubing and weighing they are shot as cast through a 45/70 with a 450/458 (1/18"tw) bore with good groups resulting. My Lyman 515141 finishes .514 to go through the 50/70 which slugs 500/512 (1/26"tw)

With the custom moulds, I imagine that they would also be shot 'as cast' after weighing and lubing. Do these measure say bore diameter .458 and are noses say .448 or bigger to actually rest on the top of the lands?

Same with the 40's and big 50's, are they finished exactely at bore size or are they over/under?
http://www.hunt101.com/img/134501.jpg
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

BAW, A custom mould from Jones, Brooks, & and other makers will drop a bullet with the nose and base diameters that you specify given a set alloy be it 20, 25, or 30:1. No sizing is needed on the bullet only the lube applied. Rbump
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

Perhaps I should re-phrase.

To those who ordered or have custom moulds, what size did you order in relation to the bore/groove size of your rifle?
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

BAW, just let Paul or Steve know what rifle (Make, Shiloh, Ballard, etc) that you are wanting the mould for, and either one can make the perfect mould for that chamber/barrel.

I just had Paul make me two moulds (his 45001 and 45002) for Shiloh Sharps rifles. I had him make the 45002 with the front driving band reduced in dia. so I could seat it out farther in the .45-110 and .45-70 so I could put more powder in the cases. I am going to try the 45002 tomorrow at a 500 yd shoot. No testing, no sighting in, no nothing, just going to the match and give them a try. I would like to have at least shot them at 200 yds, but didn't have they time.

I cast 200 of them and about 95% of them weighed right on 544.5 grs. The other 5% were within -1.0gr of the rest. They are great moulds, and you can't even see a line on the bullets where the two halves of the mould meet.

I will let you know how they shoot when I get home tomorrow night. Randy
Randy Ruwe
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Hi Randy,
Been thinkin' about ordering a PJ 45001 mold for my Shilohs too.
Why would you want to put MORE powder in a 45-110 case, they already hold too much! :lol:
Missed you at Saturday's match, LJBass kicked everyone's butt 443/450. Thinkin' about banning them 40-65 Brownings. :twisted:
Maybe we'll see you at Puyallup next Sat. for the 600yd match,
Steve
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

[quote="Bad Ass Wallace"]OK I accept that Paul Jones, Steve Brooks and Steve at Victory moulds have an enviable reputations for producing moulds that cast excellent bullets and shoot tight groups.

To those on the board that have these items, what makes them better than the run of the mill production moulds from Lyman, RCBS etc.

I have a Lyman mould that casts a finished bullet .4594. I do not size this bullet and apart from lubing and weighing they are shot as cast through a 45/70 with a 450/458 (1/18"tw) bore with good groups resulting. My Lyman 515141 finishes .514 to go through the 50/70 which slugs 500/512 (1/26"tw)

With the custom moulds, I imagine that they would also be shot 'as cast' after weighing and lubing. Do these measure say bore diameter .458 and are noses say .448 or bigger to actually rest on the top of the lands?

Same with the 40's and big 50's, are they finished exactely at bore size or are they over/under?
http://www.hunt101.com/img/134501.jpg[/quote]

The PJ mould is concentric and has no run-out. Whan a bullet travels over 300 yards this translates into maximim stability in flight. In truth if you test bullets at 200 yards or under you may not see a major difference, but when you shoot turkeys and Rams you will get what you pay for. It is not size or ease of casting that makes the bullet, it is terminal performance, and for competitive shooting at long distances, Paul Jones moulds are hard to beat. They are made to exacting specifications by a master craftsman. I do not think the same of Steve Brooks. I have a hoch nose pour that shows good promise, and there may be others, but Paul Jones moulds are outstanding.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front