Star sizing dies?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

4570sharpshooter

Star sizing dies?

Post by 4570sharpshooter »

What size star sizer die do I need for the Shiloh 45/70 . I am tired of the lyman mess..... :x
Keep yer eye on the target son....
Bob Bloyer

Post by Bob Bloyer »

4570 SS
I use a .459" in mine. The lube holes should match the lube grooves in your bullets. When I use bullets other than those designed for the lube grooves, it's a little messier than I like. Bob
4570sharpshooter

Post by 4570sharpshooter »

B.B , I called Magma, and I will be sending one of my bullets[5 groove] so I will get a die that works with the bullet. Thanks for your input. 45/70SS
Keep yer eye on the target son....
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I take it the mess you are talking about,is the lube that is getting by the first driving band and getting on the ogive of that 5 groove bullet.
That will be hard to make a die for that Star luber,for you push that bullet through that whole die.

If that 5 groover first driving band is like most it will be .450 or mabe .451, bore diameter, and the rest of the bands will be .458 or a little larger.

I think the only way you way you will be able to make that work is with a Lyman,RCBS, type die and luber.The die will have to be special made to fit that bullet with an inside taper that fits the first band.Then with carefull adjustment when the ram is on the bottom of the stroke so it seals that first band.

I have a 5 groover,at the time I thought I needed that extra lube,but I found out it's just wasted and collects dirt anyway,so I dont lube that first groove.

If I ever get that lathe I want that will be the first job is taking that first band out that bullet flies to good to burry that mould deep in a drawer.

Kurt