Axtell Sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

nohorse

Axtell Sights

Post by nohorse »

How do the Axtell tang sights compare to say...MVA???
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

IMHO quality wise they are right there among the best. If there is a problem with the Axtell sight it is in reading the scale on the sights for precision adjustment/repeatibility. The Soule style offers a finer adjustment. Again only my opinion. The Axtell sight is period correct for the Sharps. If I remember correctly the Soule sight was not made until around 1890 or so. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

I was going to post a question along the same lines tonight, but specifically comparing the Axtell vernier sight with the MVA "Sharps style tang sight" that looks period-correct (the 107, 108, and 130 tang sights in the Shiloh catalog). It seems like on the MVA something was changed to improve sight function over the original but I don't know if that's true or what was changed.

Anyone have experience using both? Looks like Axtell version is a couple of bucks less expensive.

Trey
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Thanks Parley. I have an Axtell on the way. Interested in seein' how it compares, I may swap it out with my Kelley on the No. 1 since all I use it for is mid-range anyway and either sell the Kelley or keep it as a backup. I always wanted to try one of the more period style sights. I think the eye cup will swap with an MVA Hadley...right?
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Axtell sights are probably the most authentic sights for a Sharps rifle. From past threads on this board it has been stated that Axtell sights were on the Quigley rifle used in the movie.

I use the mid range sight. It is very precise and easy to adjust. I have also purchsed their Winchester '86 front sight for my new Winchester '86 lightweight.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Sharps Shooter

Post by Sharps Shooter »

I have used an Axtel midrange sight on my Longe Range Express now for over 10 years. The repeatability is as good as ever. Excellent quality.
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Thanks Friends!

Biowa: I'll check the website out for their 1886 sights too. I didn't think about that! Thanks for the heads up.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

nohorse:

I have one of the "new" "86's made by Winchester with the safety on the tang. This contraption makes it very difficult to mount a tang sight. Fortunately, an old company in the sight business, Marbles, in Gladstone, Michigan, (good old U.P.) makes a tang sight that will fit, and still enable you to use the safety.

This is not the precise, vernior adjustable target sight that we have on our best sharps rifles, but it is surprisingly good for a hunting carbine like the '86. I'm anxious to try it out with the new Axtell globe sight on front.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
single shot 1

MVA eye cup

Post by single shot 1 »

:) nohorse,
MVA eye cups will work ok on the Axtel, but tell them as it is a change from the MVA sight. Mine works just fine. They are good folks to deal with at Axtel and MVA.

Dave :)
single shot 1

MVA eye cup

Post by single shot 1 »

:) nohorse,
MVA eye cups will work ok on the Axtel, but tell them as it is a change from the MVA sight. Mine works just fine. They are good folks to deal with at Axtel and MVA.

Dave :)
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

8iowa: I have one too. A limited edition rfile with the tang safety. LMK how yours works out. Maybe I can adapt the Kelley soule to the '86?? Hmmmmm....Naaawwww.....

Thanks for the comments!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
Swany

Post by Swany »

Could some one please give me the web address for Axtel? I have a # 3 Sporter that I want to put a long range tang site on. I've really been leaning toward the MVA's but would like to look at the Axtel before making any final choice.
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Swany,

Here is the Axtel web site address:

http://www.riflesmith.com/
Lee Stone
Swany

Post by Swany »

Lee Stone Thankyou for that web address to Axtel. I wish I could see both the MVA and the Axtel sights side by side in real life. In the pictures on their web sites they both look good, although the Axtel looks a little more authentic to me. It's sure hard to decide whitch way to go, there's been good comments to both MVA and Axtel in prior posts. Now if I had to pick between the Axtel rifles they have pictured on their web page and a Shiloh rifle, that wouldn't be so hard for me. I wouldn't give up my Shiloh # 3 sporter for one of their rifles.
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well, I don't know if the Soule design was used on Sharps by any shooters back then, but it was developed in the 1800's, so it is period correct.

I personally just happen to prefer the Soule, especially MVA's Long Range Buffalo Soule with the extra windage. But that is a personal preference.
Lee Stone