50-90 slugging the barrel

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

crazeyiven

50-90 slugging the barrel

Post by crazeyiven »

I've does this a couple of times on some original trapdoors. Always makes me a bit nervous. I usually use a pure lead ball that is larger than the bore, a plastic hammer to get it started, a short and a long oak dowel rod to finish it.

The last time I did this the slug did not come out well (slug very poorly engraved).

Before I do this on my new rifle I though I'd see what some of you all do.

Thanks,

David
Rdurk

Post by Rdurk »

Crazy. If you're talking about a new Shiloh I suggest you simply ask Kirk what the bore & groove dimensions are on the rifle. He makes the barrels and knows exactly what the dimensions are. That should be all the information you need to give to a mould maker. Good shootin.
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Rdurk-

Not a Shiloh. But, from another post in the support section, I may have some of the answer...tapered bore.

Thinking about trying it from the breach. Don't know.

Thanks for the response.
David
loophole

Post by loophole »

I use lots of oil and a steel rod with a brass tip--once you get the thing started you want to push it through, rather than hammering.
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

loophole-

Thanks for the response.

I'll keep that in mind.
David
Buckskinner

slugin the bore

Post by Buckskinner »

Crazeyiven

Just a word of caution on slugin the barrel. I have used that method also but a few years ago I had the misfortune of a stuck slug in the barrel of a inline rifle. Let me tell you it is not a pretty picture! I too know Kirk will tell you what the bore dia. is on the 50-90.

I was told by Kirk bore dia. is .500 and the grove dia. is .510 with left hand twist that's close enough for me!

Keep up the good work :wink:
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!