New to forum - first question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kev

New to forum - first question

Post by Kev »

Hello all and thanks for sharing all the great information!

I'm currently saving for my first Shiloh and have a Pedersoli now. I've babied the rifle, and it looks as good as the day I bought it. However, I discovered a problem a few months ago that has me worried about the structural integrity of the receiver.

Along the left side vertical block raceway (correct term?) there is a small chip missing from an edge. The chip is approx. 1/4 inch long. I'm positive this chip is not from any action I may have caused. I'm worried that this may be indicative of bad metalurgy.

Any other similar expeiences or thoughts/recommendations? Unforyunately, it's out of warranty.....

Thanks
Kev
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Kev:

You need to contact Pedersoli and inform them of this type of failure. Warranty or not, they will certainly realize the potential liability here if serious injury would occur.

My guess is that they will repair or replace your rifle's action.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Kev,

What 8iowa says.

Contact Pedersoli.

I also have a Pedersoli, their version of a Quigley, only now I have a Quigley by the folks who MADE the Quigley. Anyway, I believe Pedersoli will stand behind their rifle. I read a report of when they tested one of their Sharps actions to destruction with successively stronger charges. When the chamber pressure exceeded 75,000 psi the action under test exhibited some deformation so they stopped at that point. What I am saying is that Pedersoli does make a safe and quality product, and I believe (and hope) they will stand behind and remedy an obvious defect such as you just described. They were nice people when I talked to them, I have no reason to suspect they have changed.
Lee Stone
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

I agree with all the others,
Although the chip may appear harmless and cause no malfunctions, the possibility of a microscopic hairline fracture may exist and grow even larger with use. Contact Pedersoli and cover your behind...you'll be doing them a favor also although they might or might not realize it at the time.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Kev

Post by Kev »

Thanks, guys. Pedersoli has advised me to send the rifle to Lee Shaver, their authorized agent. I trust Lee to give me a fair and informed assessment of the problem.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Kev
Kev

Post by Kev »

OK - good news on the Pedersoli. Turns out the "chip" is a tool mark. Lee Shaver looked at it under magnification and confirmed this. Back to the range for now and keep saving for the Shiloh!

Kev
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well, that's good news. Just goes to show that as good as those CNC machines are, they are not 100% infallible.
Lee Stone