Goex Fg for 45-70???

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rcasto

Goex Fg for 45-70???

Post by rcasto »

After getting good results in my 45-110 by switching to Fg, I thought
I would try Fg in my 45-70. I only had time to try one batch of 65g with a 535g Lyman Postell. Group was very promising. My chrono said 1105 fps.

Do any of you use Fg in your 45-70 with good results or should I switch back to FFg?

Also, what kind of velocity range should I be in with a 30" barrel and the 535g bullet in 45-70?

Thanks for the info.
RC
rdnck

Goex Fg in 45-70

Post by rdnck »

rcasto--Fg works fine in a 45-70 to a point. You really need a little more velocity than 1105 fps beyond 400 yards or so, as at this velocity the bullet becomes more sensitive and more subject to vertical dispersion in head and tail winds at the longer distances. You need to see something in the neighborhood of 1125 to 1150 fps.

If you will increase the powder charge a bit from 65 grains, you will probably be able to reach these velocities with this powder. As an aside, don't think that 1105 fps and a 535 grain Postell is a Casper Milquetoast load. I have shot through 2 inch thick sun dried oak planking at 800 surveyed yards with a Postell bullet at 1107 fps out of my 45-70. The bullets blew through with no sign of slowing down. If you can shoot through 2 inch thick oak planks, you can shoot through animals such as elk at the same distance. The killing power is there.

Fg is the powder of choice for the 45-110, and it also works well in the 45-90. I generally shoot 2f or Cartridge in my 45-70, but wouldn't hesitate to use Fg if I thought I needed to. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Thanks rdnck. The group with Fg looked like a winner and the rifle was much cleaner. I'll experiment with a little more powder.

Thanks again.
RC
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Recasto ! I have always found that 1fg was slower then 2fg by 100fps in both Dupont and Goex powders ! 1fg did make very good groups and many times a little smaller then 2fg depending on bullet alloy ! JAGG
JAGG
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Jagg,

Dupont?? Man, you sound like me. I've been using a lot of Swiss, and until I bought the present case of Goex Fg I currently have waiting on the arrival of my .50/90 from Shiloh, the last Goex I bought had Dupont FFg printed on the can. And like a dummy, I didn't save that last Dupont can when it was finally emptied :x !
Lee Stone
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

L S ! I have been throwing out all of those old cans for years ! Or shooting at them ! There were just to many of then to keep ! I think i still have some dupont BP powder around here someplace ! JAGG
JAGG