Well I did it. Now what???

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

FXDXT

Post by FXDXT »

The order and my first post
Shiloh Sporter #1

Caliber-45-70, Extra Fancy Wood, Barrel Length- 30”
Accent Line, Polished Barrel, Heavy Half Octagon
AA Finish, Rubber Buttplate

MVA #113 Sharps style Low Profile w/Spirit Level
MVA Soule #101 mid range
MVA Montana Magnum

The rifle is ordered………..but I need to get all the rest of the equipment.
I’ve read this board and a few others and believe the reloading supplies I would like to order will be of sufficient quality to adequately perform the job with out having to spend more money and upgrade to better stuff.

Press - Redding T-7 Turret
Die set - Redding competition pro set
Lead pot - Waage K4757 melting pot
Moulds – Steve Brooks/Paul Jones
Along with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, scales, droptubes etc.

With all the experience of the members here, are these good choices

Thanks
Tom
RMulhern

Now what?

Post by RMulhern »

Tom

I think you'll like the T-7 turrent press. I incorporated one into my reloading and IMO...it's a real "jewel"! Returnability is right on the money; been using it over a couple of years now and it's good.

Blow smoke! You're gonna be OK! :lol: :shock: :D :roll:
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Tom,

You have an excellent list there. I wish I had "discovered" the Redding T-7 before I replaced my old Lyman Spar-T turret press with a Lyman T-Mag II turret press. I very much like my T-Mag II, it is a very good press and I have five turrets filled plus a couple of spares, but the Redding T-7 is, I believe, a better and sturdier press.

I would suggest that when you get equipment for brass cleaning that you look seriously at the Thumblers model B Tumbler and then use ceramic media in it. Believe me, it is worlds better than any other method of cleaning brass that I have found. Cabela's (where I got mine) has a pretty good price on it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 01ii01.jpg
Lee Stone
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Tom:

You appear to be well organized with good equipment. I'll suggest a few more dies for your turret press;

1. Compression die, made up from a compression plug obtained from Buffalo Arms, (buffaloarms.com) and placed in a die body such as Lyman's universal decapping die with the stem removed.
2. Neck sizing die
3. Taper crimp die

I also use Lyman's 4500 Lubricator-sizer filled with SPG. It accomodates both Lyman and RCBS sizing dies and top punches. You can probably find a top punch close enough for your Paul Jones bullets. I use GOEX Cartridge powder and place a Walters Wad on top before compressing.

You might want to consider obtaining a Lee Hand Press with a universal decapping die to use at the range before dropping fired cases into a bucket of soapy water. This simple press can also do a good job of loading cartridges when you are away from your reloading bench.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Tom,

8iowa gave you some more very good and needed suggestions.

My experience with the Lyman taper crimp die is that it works great for my .45/90, but is too long and I had to grind off between 1/8th and 3/16ths off the bottom before it would crimp my .45/70. Now it taper crimps the .45/70 just fine (it was bottoming out on the shell holder before brass could go into the die far enough to be even slightly crimped). But since I had gotten two of them (it is the same die for .45/70, .45/90 and .45/100, it is the short Lyman .45cal taper crimp die. The long .45cal taper crimp die is for .45/110 and .45/120) it works out just fine. The Lyman taper crimp die I got for .50/90 worked fine right out of the box.
Lee Stone
FXDXT

Post by FXDXT »

Thank you gentlemen

I know that I need Thumblers and sizing die among other things and some things I don't even know
that I need yet. I new that I would
get good advice about what products
to get and where to buy them.

Keep the info coming

Tom
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I would install a LR MVA sight instead of the mid-range unit. You can always shoot shorter ranges w/ a LR sight, but you can't always shoot longer ranges w/ a mid-range sight.

While you may think that you'll never shoot over 500-600 yds, you never know qwhen the opportunity for LR shooting migth present itself.
TJW

Post by TJW »

Tom, all is you have heard here is good advice. I can only add that I believe the RCBS lubriciser is better quality than the Lyman, so you may want to consider that one. They are about the same price. You mentioned a scale, check out the ibal electronic 201 electronic scale, it's great. You can check them out at www.myweigh.com, click on the pocket scaleslink (ask Powderburner here on the forum about them). In time you may want a powder measure, the Lyman 55 seems to be one of the top ones used. It's built specifically for black powder.

Good shooting. TJW
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Tom,

When you think of the MVA, think of the MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule. As Ray pointed out, you can shoot short and mid range with a long range sight, but not the other way around. And that extra windage of the Buffalo Long Range Soule can be a real life saver at times. The MVA Long Range Buffal Soule is what I have on the tangs of all my Sharps. With the Hadley eyecup and I keep a Montana Magnum Hadley eyec up in my range box for when it is needed.

So many neat choices to make, right?
Lee Stone
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Speaking of lubri-sizers, take a hard look @ the SAECO made/sold by Redding. The top punches will not interchange w/ Lyman/RCBS, but I think that the sizing dies are "universal".

Over the years, I've known numerous casters who junked their RCBS/Lyman for a SAECO, but I have never seen or heard of a SAECO unit being replaced by a Lyman/RCBS….

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/lubrisizer.html

A good source of BPCR accessories & related paraphernalia is Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

A well written BPCR cartridge reloading primer can be found @:
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

You’ll need Adobe to open it up.

Info on paper patch bullets can be found @:
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

Both of the above links were written by experienced & successful BPCR competitors
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ray, do you know for sure the Lyman resizing dies will fit in the Saeco lubri sizer?? Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
FXDXT

Post by FXDXT »

Thanks guys javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Just when I thought I had it figured out!!!!!!!
It will be 4 to 5months before I take delivery. I have plenty of time
to change that part of the order.

What I was trying to configure was a rifle to use for the occasional hunting trip and silhouette shooting. My knowledge of sights and how they work is very limited.
I do appreciated the help.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Ken: did some research on the Midway site & it doesn't appear that the Lyman/RCBS sizing dies will fit the SAECO. For some reason I thought that the dies were interchangeable, but it looks the dies as well as the top punches are not.