Montana Points of Interest

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Paul Gubrud

Montana Points of Interest

Post by Paul Gubrud »

Greetings Everyone,

It sounds like my #1 Sporter (.45-70 and fancy) will be finished sometime around the first part of July. My wife and I are considering hooking up to the camper and heading to Big Timber to retrieve it. We’re also looking for other places of interest in eastern Montana. Any suggestions?

It’s been 30 years since I was last in Montana. In fact it was for a buckskinner rendezvous in Big Timber. While we’re in the area we also want to see the Custer Battlefield and the Lewis & Clark sights along the Yellowstone. Then we’re talking about heading up to Ft. Peck to see the dinosaur digs and more L&C. Any other ideas?

May Your Lantern Burn Bright,
Paul
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Yup got one--stop in and see the Lewis and Clark caverns and if you get west far enough go to Deer Lodge and see the old prison and the Grant-Kohrs ranch historical site--the ranch is worth the trip alone!!!
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Swany

Post by Swany »

On your way across the Dakota's you might want to stop and see Mt. Rushmore and Crazyhorse just outside of Rapid City, South Dakota. :shock:
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Depends on what you want to see . . .Yellowstone is right down the street from Big Timber (actually from the neighboring town of Livingston)and Custer's Last Stand (Big Horn) is about two and half hours away just Southeast of Billings.

If you want a world class cowboy hat or "Buffalo Runners" hat along with your Shiloh then the Rand Hat Factory is in Billings. They make hats for the movies including Tom Selleck's hats for his movies. Great folks there!

Cody, WY is a great place if you travel throught the East gate of Yellowstone. The Buffalo Bill Museum is there which houses the worlds largest collection of Winchesters and other related items.

Dan
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Thats right about the Rand hat factory in Billings, The guy's a real prick though.

A.Bruiser
Ted Kramer

MT points of interest

Post by Ted Kramer »

Paul,
Fort Union, north of Sidney is an interesting stop. Then SE of that is Theodore Roosevelt Park in ND. The north unit along hwy 85 is well worth the time to visit.

Ted K
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

Another interesting stop is the Pompeys Pillar Monument about 25 miles East of Billings, just off I-94. This is the only existing physical evidence of the Lewis & Clark expidetion. I think there will be quite a few activities going on this summer at the monument.

Paul