Patch popper

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Re: Patch popper

Post by TexasMac »

GrumpyBear wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am Mine arrived while I was away on a couple of shoots, looks great, quality workmanship, can't wait to test it out.
Just keep in mind that you will have to "load" the wire brush with cotton from a cotton ball to work properly or it will grab several patches at one time. I've been using one for several years and would not attend a match without it. I've put almost 4,000 patches through it so far. But I'm about to run out of the arsenal patches that Steve Rhoades sold & will be switching to 2" round cotton flannel patches made by Pro-Shot in a couple of matches. Got the patches from Midway late last year for $14/1000 but just checked & the price is now $18. Midway's part number is 570464. Just make sure you get the ones labeled 270 to 38 Caliber: 2" Round. They do not come out of the Patch Popper quite as easily as the arsenal patches (tend to bunch up a bit) but works good enough for me. I have not tried Paul's linen patches but understand they work well in the Popper.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Wayne have you tried the patches that Paul sells?

I bought 1K, from him, and did a trial run with just dry patches, and they seemed to work well.

We'll see on Sunday, under match conditions though. :D
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Buffalo arms has the arsenal patches.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

40-65rl wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:47 pm Buffalo arms has the arsenal patches.
40-65rl,

Thanks. I just checked and see that the price is $6.29 for 500 which is an excellent price. I checked with BACO prior to purchasing the Pro-Shot brand patches & they were not offering them at the time. I remember their response was they'd have to purchase a huge amount to make it worth the investment and they did not have the storage room. Obviously something changed. If I were buying patches now BACO’s arsenal patches would be on the top of my list.

Grumpybear,

I mentioned in my earlier response that “I have not tried Paul's linen patches but understand they work well in the Popper”. After posting that I remembered that I did have some that Paul provided at the Whittington Nationals when I purchased the Patch Popper. At the time I had a large supply of arsenal patches from Steve Rhoades and preferred them over Paul’s. The arsenal patches seemed to work a little better in the Popper but I never tried Paul’s patches in an actual match. So I sold the bag of Paul’s patches to another guy with a Patch Popper.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Missed that Wayne, reading too fast I reckon. I'll let you know how they work.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

For what it's worth, I tried the Pro-Shot 2" cotton flannel cleaning patches in the Patch Popper yesterday at a match for the 1st time. They worked fine in the Popper but are a tad thicker than the arsenal patches, therefore a little tighter when pushing them through the bore. They do seem to clean the bore a little better but it's most likely due to being thicker/tighter which can be controlled by the rod tip diameter.

Wayne