MVA sights--which one?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt. Call

MVA sights--which one?

Post by Capt. Call »

Ok time is getting short on my rifle (probably two more months before she is done). I ordered the MVA Long Range Soule thinking that I would never need the extra windage because 1000 yard ranges are pretty scarce. Now while I still might be able to change my mind should I go with the Buffalo Soule? (even though I think those big knobs are a bit ugly).

I hate to second guess myself but is it a case off---- like the line in Lonesome Dove:

"It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Capt, I think the knobs are just about the same size. The windage adjustment bar is just a little longer. Believe me, they don't detract from the appearance of the rifle. Randy
Randy Ruwe
deerhuntsheatmeup

sight knobs

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I would opt for the buffalo sight. You cannot have too much windage some days. Be careful though, Iffen you lay down hard on the stock and bury your eye into the eye cup, you may have to have one of the knobs surgically removed from your nose. LOL, Later, Barvid Dayfield
Brent

Post by Brent »

personally, I don't much like Soule sights - they are less than pretty and get in the way a lot. But they are dang convenient at the range I admit. That said, if you are going to hunt with this sight, I'd for sure skip the Soules, and I would avoid long range tangs if only because they get in the way of cleaning on some rifles depending on where the eyecup happens to be relative to the point of the comb when the sight is folded back.

None of these are really major issues I suppose, but just things to consider when you drop a whole lotta green for a good sight.

Brent
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Well, it really gets down to a matter of personal preference. I grew up in Oklahoma and I know what windy days are like, but as Barvid says even on what seems an ordinary day in Mississippi; ya sometimes need a lot of windage. However, I personally have never needed any more windage than what is offered on an MVA mid-range soule. For silhouette I have to have an easy to read and manipulate soule style sight because there's just not a lot of time to fumble with sights. However in mid range target and other shooting where time is not so demanding there are other options. I just mounted an Axtell Hartford transition on my Shiloh Hartford. Will use it for hunting and maybe an occaisional mid range shoot. It is a traditional sight and just looks darn good mounted on my Shiloh Hartford. Although I like its looks more than I do a soule, like I said - both have their merits and specific uses. I shoot more mid range now than silhouette and although I have tried several different sights and have seen merits to most, over the years I have always shot my best scores with an MVA mid range soule. I can't really explain why - just have. So I am going back to an MVA mid range soule on my No. 1. If I was not too interested in silhouette or a similar timed competative shooting I'd pick the Hartford transitional or the similar MVA sight hands down over the soule simply because of the traditional period style and its good looks. I know a few shooters currently using these style sights for mid-range and they work just fine. I've also found mid-range sights work fine for me out to 800 yards. Typically I only shoot up to 600 so I stick with mid-range just because they are a slightly more compact; just another personal choice. One thing for sure; sights are so expensive ya have really think about what ya need before ya lay out the cash.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Thanks ever so much for all your input guys! After reading all this I am sticking with my first choice the MVA Long Range Soule.

Its been over 21 years since my last new born and this is kinda like the new father jitters! Well thats how I am going to call it Anyway! ----> LOL

Oh ya---I forgot to mention I also went with the Semi-buckhorn and the regular Shiloh blade front sight because I will be doing all my Hunting with this new rifle. But also ordered the MVA 113 Globe sight -------------just in case!

Thanks to all again!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

That's a good choice Capt. It will serve you well.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]