Forsyth Long Range Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Forsyth Long Range Match

Post by semtav »

Wind was straight from behind us, except when it wasn't which was quite a bit of the time, so it gave us a lot of chances to test our knob twisting abilities. and as you can see most of us have not so much abilities !!! Elwin had the hot hand especially at 1000 yds.
Now one would think an 11 with my DDPP 40-82 round would mean my load test was a dismal failure but the opposite was true and is looking like a very accurate load, but that will be taken up on another thread to keep this one from getting run into the gutter.

------------------------------------800-------------900-------------1000------------total

Gary ------------------------------4-----------------1----------------3----------------8
Harlen----------------------------6------------------0----------------2---------------8
Deith-----------------------------4------------------5----------------4---------------13
Elwyn-----------------------------5------------------5----------------9---------------19 Scope

Steve-----------------------------3------------------1----------------2---------------6 Scope
Brian------------------------------6-----------------3-----------------2---------------11
Paul-------------------------------2------------------4----------------2---------------8
semtav

Post by semtav »

Went to Bed last night thinking the weather wasn't going to let us have a match today. Woke up to rain in Jordan this morning, but looked like it had cleared out of Forsyth so I drove home. Turned out to be a great day for shooting. Excellent conditions for testing our wind reading abilities. Wind was constantly changing direction and speed every shot. (obviously we suck at it ) :lol: :oops:
I was giving Harlen guff about his abilities during the 900 yard target, He got even with me on the 1000.
Overall a fun relaxing day.
Tried my hand at spotting for myself shooting prone. Good Thing Kim's wife was backing me up, because I really bombed at it.
It really sucks when the wind is directly behind me.

Name......................................800..................900................1000..................total
Deith A.....................................7.....................2....................5.....................14
Elwyn B.....................................4.....................1....................2......................7 scope
Kim W......................................4.....................6....................3......................13
Harlen B....................................5....................2.....................6.....................13
Brian S.....................................5.....................7.....................3.....................15
semtav

Post by semtav »

Haven't been any able to make any of these all summer and was hoping to make this one but didn't happen.

Had to post it to Give a big Kudos to Claudia for wupping up on all the guys. (maybe its a good thing I didn't make it :oops:)

NAME..................................800.....................900.......................1000...................TOTAL
GARY C.................................6.......................3............................6.......................15
ELWYN B...............................7.......................5.............................1.......................13
DEITH A................................5.......................7.............................5.......................17
CLAUDIA K.............................7.......................7.............................6.......................20 MW

1200 YD BUFFALO
ELWYN..5
DEITH..1
CLAUDIA..3
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Congradulations to Claudia. Well shot match.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
semtav

Post by semtav »

Match will happen tomorrow
1:00 Lee Ranch
semtav

Post by semtav »

Four shooters showed up to shoot the long range match.
Started out kinda chilly and breezy but warmed up enough to be comfortable.
Perfect day to test that 6:00 to 7:30 wind change theory because that was what it varied between all match.
Unfortunately I never did see a definite large drop in elevation when it switched from 6:00 to 7:30 but it could have been just my lack of perception.
Saw plenty drift off the left and right when proper windage adjustments weren't made.

I jumped out to a comfortable lead on the 800 shooting some of my original loads with the elliptical bullet.
Harlen came back on the 900 shooting a respectable score given the sudden wind changes and his lack of a sight setting to start the round. I switched to the Money bullet on this target and the first few were misses off the 1-2:00 slope but pretty close together. Just wasn't making big enough adjustments to get on. hit the middle group of bullets then just lost track of my windage adjustments and missed the last three.
Harlen and I stayed neck n neck most of the 1000 but hitting my last 3 put it out of his range.

Paul was banging the heck out of the bull during practice but that went away during the match. Of course I blamed it on his Grease Groove bullets and blow tubing.

Elwyn was using up a bunch of old lots of 5744 and it didn't work out well for him but at least the powder is all gone now.

Was sure fun to shoot this match again after missing it all year.

Name....................................800...........................900....................1000.......................Total

Brian......................................8...............................4........................5..........................17.PP

Harlen ...................................5................................6........................4..........................15.PP

Paul.......................................5................................2........................5..........................12.Scope

Elwyn.....................................5................................3.........................2..........................10.Scope
semtav

Post by semtav »

Not about to let the last "nice" day of winter go to waste, 3 of us showed up to shoot the Long Range Match.
Nice was a relative term as a cold wind was blowing down our necks for much of the match.

Each of us came with a specific task.

Steve came with a mismatch of primers from a left over primer test.
So it was his job to guess which primer he was using by how far above or below the target a specific cartridge shot.
There seems to be quite a difference in elevation between different primers.

Harlen was testing a new swaged money bullet and a micro diameter front aperature.
It seemed to be working well, right up to the time the sun disappeared and we couldnt see the 1000 yd target.

I was shooting up a bunch of 45-90 shells I had reloaded 4 or 5 years ago.
And trying to spot for myself while shooting prone. That just doesn't work with BP when the wind is at your back.
I did manage to spot for them tho.

As seems to be the case often when Harlen and I shoot together, it came down to the last shot of the match to determine who beat who.

I hit and I win, I miss and Harlen hits and he wins.
I went first and called a miss at the bottom of the stake, and then the radio went off! uh oh !!!!
Did I nick the bottom of the target or hit the stake?
It would be moot if Harlen would just miss. But He nailed it and now we had to go up and see what the target told us.

I couldn't find a hit on the edge of the target So I conceded the match to Harlen.

Strangely the 1000 yd target was a tale of two halves.
we shot:
4 of 5, 3 of 5 and 2 of 5 for the first 5 shots.
then the sun disappeared and it got dark and we never hit the target the second half until Harlen hit his last shot of the match.

Glad we were able to get out one last time and enjoy each others razzing thruout the match.

All were shooting PP so it made it even more fun

Name ..........................800................900....................1000....................Total

Brian.............................8..................4........................4.......................16

Harlen...........................7..................5........................4........................16 MW

Steve...........................4...................2........................2.........................8
semtav

Post by semtav »

Since we never took pictures and nobody caught us in the act, today's match never officially happened.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Were the scores that bad that you cant post them ? lol
semtav

Post by semtav »

Oh no scores were so good nobody would believe them :lol: 8)
semtav

Post by semtav »

The Wildhorse crew managed to get out of the hills before the frost went out this morning so we held another long range match.
Harlen didn't get his ammo loaded in time cause he was too busy swaging bullets for him and Steve the last couple weeks, so he was the designated spotter. Not a bad place to be the way this match went. Elwyn showed up late. Well, late by our standards cause we thought we'd be the only ones there and started early. Steve forgot his wiping rod so being a nice guy I loaned him my spare. Which happened to be a 40 cal rod. I found a great deal on patches this month and loaded up on them. They turned out to be thinner than my normal patches. And as luck would have it, not only did I bring one 40 cal rod, I brought two. So now we were both wiping with poor results. Pre match practice was going splendidly and my new 45-90 load was really performing well, including 4 in a row at the 1000 yd target. and then, not being superstitious or anything, I made the comment that my seconds I was using for practice were performing so well, my good loads would probably go in the tank. Little did I know.
We started on the 1000 and my first sighter was a hit in the white and that was the last shot that was on call. Every shot after that hit a half target lower.
After trying everything I could to get back on track, and the barrel cleaned out, I finally broke my rear sight and gave up.
Steve had a little better luck, but was struggling with much the same problems. So we'll chalk this one up to a good learning experience. Bring the right rod and patches or things can go south in a big hurry. Sad part was, it was such a nice day, wind wise, the scores should have been in the mid 20's.

Name-----------------------------1000-------------------------900------------------------800--------------------------Total

Brian-------------------------------3-----------------------------1-DNF--------------------DNF--------------------------4

Steve-------------------------------2--------------------------------5------------------------3---------------------------10

Elwyn-------------------------------3--------------------------------3------------------------7----------------------------13