Buffalo hunt and sight color

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

Buffalo hunt and sight color

Post by dm3280 »

I have a buffalo hunt planned for later this year and need to see what others can suggest on the sight color. Is there a color I can paint my front sight that will help me see it against the buffalo or does it really not matter?
Thanks
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

DM: I don't know what to tell ya to use as I have not yet had the thrill of shooting a bison. However, I have a good friend that enjoyed that pleasure in Wyoming a year or so ago. He was using a Baldwin front sight with the Baldwin apertures at the end of a 34" Sharps barrel. He told me when he returned that he couldn't see the sight becasue it blended in with the color of the critter. If I remember correctly he had to stalk in to about 100 yds or so before he could take his shot. As I am planning a hunt late this year or early 2005 I would also be very interested in hearing what color aperture and average shooting distances. This is a good topic - Thanks!!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

DM: I shot a buffalo early this spring and had the same problem. After giving it some thought, I might paint a post type front site insert with white out or some such thing. If you leave the front insert a dark color, you have a sight that blends with the critters hair no matter which insert you use.

Good topic to post, I hope to hear some more ideas.

Paul
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

How about a silver blade up front. I think the buffalo hunters used one made of coin and to 'refresh' it, just scratch it a bit. Gold might be nice too!
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

In the Summer 2003 Black Powder Cartridge News (issue #42) John Hansen has a full 8 pages on buffalo hunting- everything from picking your outfitter to the color of your hat- and he dedicates about half a page to sights. His recommendation is the German silver blade previously mentioned or "painting" globe sight inserts with Liquid Paper.

The article is worth a read, and he really pushes for using a simple blade front sight with standard barrel-mounted, semi-buckhorn rear sights.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

There is a really good post on this forum somewhere about just this exact topic. The fellow that did it replaced his blade front with a blade he made from a piece of almost pure copper. He said even in very low light the copper kinda glows. According to what I remember you can pull the shiloh blade out and make one of copper and then force it back in. Leave it a little high then file it off to impact at the range you want it to, i.e. 100 yards or 200 or whatever. One of these days I'm going to try it. I've even thought about filing an insert from copper to fit the Lyman 17a globe.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Monty

Post by Monty »

I have just finished replacing the front sight on my rifle with a penny. I cut off about 1/3 of a penny and filed the burs off. The center part of the penny is the same thickness as the original front sight. (At least it was with the penny I used). I used a small hammer to tap it in place then filed the penny down until the rifle shot on target. I’ve only had the chance to try it out a couple of times in normal light but it looks good so far.
Monty
John from Bend, Oregon
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

DM has brought up a very interesting question. Last December I hunted with my "Kentucky" rifle in the U.P. I soon discovered that in the dark woods I couldn't see the front sight. It was a lesson in the fact that hunting conditions are quite different from a day at the range.

I have another Kentucky under construction and I have ordered one of Marble's Contour front sights with a 1/16 inch fiber optic orange bead. No, this is not traditional, but at least I will be able to place my shots with a lot more confidence. After all, the purpose in hunting is a clean kill, not a wound that the animal takes away to suffer a lingering death.

This October, if the Colorado DOW blesses me in their lottery, I want to take my 1877 Axtell, which has a globe front sight with five dark inserts. Replacing it with a Marbles sight doesn't seem feasible. Thus, I too am pondering the question of how to make the front sight more visible.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Brent

Post by Brent »

Isn't ivory the prefered material for all conditions? I just had a friend bring back a Warthog tusk bottle opener for just such a use. Warthog is the preferred ivory - supposedly because it does not yellow. This will be used on a Lyman 5a post, and maybe something else as well.

But up to now, I use a Lee Shaver insert in my Lyman 17s that is cut as crosswires. Because they extend to the sides of the sight, you can always center your target using just the right or left half of the horizontal and just the top or bottom of the verticle wires. If you can't see all of the wires, nor where they cross, so long as you have one leg of both the horizontal and the vertical, you are in business.

Works for me anyway, and I've shot a lot of deer, and some elk and pronghorns with them.

Brent
rdnck

Front sight for hunting

Post by rdnck »

Use the penny. It's the only way to go. I've been doing it for years. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Brent

Re: Front sight for hunting

Post by Brent »

[quote="rdnck"]Use the penny. It's the only way to go. I've been doing it for years. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES[/quote]

Where the heck do you get a REAL penny these days? All those I have are zinc in the middle....

Brent
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Try a florescent green. It stands out against anything, better then orange.
Paint it on the front sight and keep checking to make sure it doesn't rub off but with good paint, it won't.
Rich
Josh A.

Sights

Post by Josh A. »

The copper penny is the only way to go. I have been hunting with them for a couple of years now. There is something about the frequency of the light reflected that is visible in most conditions.

Just watch your spare change for those old, pure copper pennies. The rest is easy.

Take care,

S
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Josh A.

Sight

Post by Josh A. »

Here is one of mine with a copper front sight.

http://www.amerinemechanical.com/hunting/Dscn0820.jpg

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Travis

Post by Travis »

The best luck that I have had is with a Baldwin with a spirit level. Pick the insert that has the smallest possible circle and the single horizontal crosswire. This allows you to focus on the part of the critter thay you want to hit and not the fine bead,full bead woes of a blade. A good apeture is the only choice to make a Sharps tick. If you have a blade you will tend to shoot high in the dark as you don't get the bead down where it needs to be. If you still have problems,paint the insert or get a quality telescope. Also the horizontal wire acts as a good height correction if you do like a lot of folks and set your sights at one range and learn how the gun shoots.
Shoot straight cause those suckers are big--mine was
Travis