Bullet sizing?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Monty

Bullet sizing?

Post by Monty »

Hi,
I’m new to this so I have a dumb question. Can an under sized bullet, say .456 be sized up to .458 in a Lyman 450 bullet sizer?
Thanks,
Monty
John from Bend, Oregon
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

simple anser no,you would have to plug up the bullet path and and squish the bullet real good.
i would just melt them down and recast in the right size mould. 8)
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Monte, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. You should see some of the questions I asked when I started BPCRS. :roll: Wolfie is right on as usual.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Monty: No such thing as a dumb question.

If you use a .456 die in your lubra-sizer, the bullets should come out perfectly lubed and sized. In shooting them however, they might not orbitrate in the bore, which could cause barrel leading. Using softer lead would be helpful.

Using a .458 sizing die would probably result in a gooey mess in your sizer.

In order to load a .456 bullet you might have to invest in a new smaller diameter neck expander die. The bullet might be too loose in the case if you use the standard expander.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

careful ken you mite swell my head telling me i am right :lol:
but could you call my wife and tell her :P
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Monty

Post by Monty »

I guess I need a new mould; does Steve Brooks have a web sight?
Should I go with a Paul Jones or Steve Brooks mould?
I need a good hunting bullet for my 45-110. Something in the 400 to 500 grain range.
Thanks for the info so far!
Monty
John from Bend, Oregon
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Paul Jones has a web site, Steve doesn't. Either one could make you an excellant mold. I have a question about sizing also, someone on this web said they thought lyman or RCBS sizing dies would fit in SAECO lubrisizers?? Does anyone know this for sure??? I know the top punches will not fit but how about the sizing dies??
Shiloh Rules!!
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

M ! What is your groove diameter ? If you have a 457 or 458 diameter groove dia. your 456 bullets might work if cast of a lead /tin only alloy ! JAGG
JAGG
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Ken

I have a Saeco and a RCBS lube-a-matic . Saeco dies and top punches are threaded and will not work in lyman or rcbs .

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks Ranger Rick, I knew I could count on you for an answer. I am getting more lube on the side of the bullet than I like and I'm using a .459 sizing die. I have a feeling a .458 would work just as well for my rifle and I wouldn't have near as much lube to clean off. I guess I'll have to call BA and order one, I thought if the RCBS would fit I might get one locally. Oh well.
Shiloh Rules!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, throw away that lube-sizer, and start pan lubing. Since I started pan lubing, I have not had to do anything buy give the bullets a quick wipe on a paper towel before loading. No More scraping the sides of the bullet, or the base, and each bullet has the same amount of lube :!: :lol: I really like it, and you don't have the added expense of the lube sizer. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, forgot to say that I only give the base of the bullet a quick wipe on the towel, everything else is perfectly clean. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Uh Huh, and if I throw the brand new Saeco away I guess you might be close by??? ha ha ha ha ha ha. I've tried pan lubeing and I didn't like it, but I do like "dip" lubeing, it works better I think. But, when you live in an RV most of the time it's a little unhandy to do all that stuff in the kitchen on a gas range. If we ever settle down I might go back to pan or dip lubeing again. Or is it lubing?? :wink:
Shiloh Rules!!
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I don't even want think about the response I'd get from my wife if I melted lube in the kitchen.

My Lyman 4500 lub-sizer works great. I get a fast production rate, perfect bullets, and the operation is not the least bit messy.

While I may order an expensive custom mold someday, I'm very happy with the options offered by Lyman and RCBS at much lower cost.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
KHR

Post by KHR »

John,
here are two really good hunting bullets. first the lyman 457193 http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1523.html In 30/1 it weighs about 420 grains, it is really an effective round. Also try a pure lead paper patched round either 450g or 510g (tapered) http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,98.html Pure lead PP bullets expand really nicely at black powder velocities. The 450g is what I will hunt with next season, besides a PP in a 45/110 is super cool!!!
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe