HUNTING Calibre Choice-Again??

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

HUNTING Calibre Choice-Again??

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ok, I know I asked this before but here goes again. I have basically picked the model of my next Shiloh (secret) now I'm trying to make up my mind on the calibre. I'm down to the 45-90, 45-100, 45-110, and 50-70. If you have an opinion (ha ha ha) on a 95% hunting use calibre I'd like to know why you would pick that particular calibre. I would really like to hear from the guys that have actually hunted with these calibres. Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Brent

Post by Brent »

Ken, I've ues the 90 an the 100. my choice would depend more on the bullets used first and foremost. But depending on how you are going to load, chose which ever chambering gives you 85-90 grs of powder. Anything more than 90 gr seems to be just unnecessary in my books.

I have the 100 now. I'd go back to 90 if I could easily.
With my loading method, I get 100 grs in the case. That is too much.

Brent
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Ken:

I've just gone through this myself. My son and I have '77 Axtell's in 40-70ss. We were concerned about recoil, and this cartridge has a good target reputation and is certainly adequate for deer hunting. My rifle weighs a little over 10 lbs and I can shoot it comfortably all day.

I wanted to start using BP cartridges on my Elk hunts in Colorado and feel that the 45's would be more effective on larger game. I did not want to deal with a rifle that has more recoil than my 270 Wby or 300 H&h. Been there - done that! Therefore I ordered a new Lower Sporter in 45-90. I looked carefully at the 45-100, and still haven't ruled it out completely, but the 45-90 can obviously take any game animal in N. America, as well as hold it's own against other cartridges at the 1000 yard line. Shiloh puts a left hand twist on their 50's in order to encourage more torque toward your cheek rather than twisting out of your hands. This sounds like a lot more recoil than I want to deal with.

Another consideration is reloading components and presses. Buffalo Arms produces 45x2.4 and 45x2.6 cases at reasonable cost and availibility. In my loading operation, I have switched to Lyman's Mag II Turret Press, which has enough clearance for either of these two cartridges. As you get longer however, many presses on the market can't accomodate the length. For example, the 45-120 has an overall length of over 4 inches with most bullets.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I forgot to say what I would be hunting, everything from rabbits to elk, and maybe a one time Buffalo hunt. Probably deer most of the time. I already have a Shiloh 45-70 so I'm leaning toward the .45's because I have moulds and loading components for that group. Thanks for the input. Does anyone know when Sharps introduced the -100??
Shiloh Rules!!
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Ken:
I believe that the 45-100 had a very short life around 1877-78. Others on this board probably have more information.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
KHR

Post by KHR »

Ken
I have used a 45/90 to hunt with, albeit in a win '86, even with an express loading it really does a good job on the big feral hogs we have here. For a sharps i'd use a tapered paper patch bullet (450 - 510 gn) that way you could load it out and get more powder in the case.
I believe that the 45/100 was first issued in 1876, (date might be wrong, dont have sellers book in front of me) was used for about a year until the 45/90 came out. I think that these details might be correct, just going from memory.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
N2

Post by N2 »

Ken - I used to do a lot of hunting around Eagle Pass. A 74 Sharps Business rifle in 50-70 would have been just about perfect for that area (or any area wherein a 150 yard shot is a long shot) and deer, javelina, or ferrel hogs. I'd choose the 50-70 over the three 45's you mentioned simply because it makes a bigger hole and in the Eagle Pass area the flora is thick and everything in it either sticks, stings, or bites. I want whatever I shoot to go down NOW and not after it's run me through the shreader! At BP velocities bullet expansion definately isn't a given and a 50 caliber bullet makes a big hole every time.

All that being said, my 74 in 45-2.4" (45-90) has served me quite well. For our little Texas deer the Lyman 457122 HP does everything you'd want a bullet to do if you hit them in the right place and generally if you are a little off as well. It's a bit of a PITA to cast, but you probably won't be using that many in a given year. I see no advantage for the type of hunting you mention in the 45-2.6" (45-100) or the 45 2 7/8" cases (45-110), but if you have a preference I'd suggest you go with whatever it is. You can't hit an animal to hard. - Nick
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, there isn't an animal on this or most other continents that you can't effectively hunt and kill with any of those cartridges :!: Besides which, you already know that :P :D You're just trying to stir the pot and see where it leads :roll: :wink: So here goes. Go with the .45-90. Easy to load, easy to shoot, and will kill anything that you ever happen to meet in the woods or on the plains. You can load it up, you can load it down, light bullets, heavy bullets. With the right load you can do anything you want. :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Ken,

The 40-65 will slay anything on this planet.

The 45's will also. The larger caliber(s) will leave a larger bleeding hole and that's about all.

Now, I know you are a good shooter and you realize the importance of bullet placement so buck up and get to the point of aim. The 40's are plenty.

TL
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ken,

If you would get your keister over here (as frequently promised :roll: ) and shoot some of the paper patched bullets you and Al gave me (the very few I have left and am saving until I can roll my own) in my .45/90 Hartford, I think you could make up your mind right then and there.
Lee Stone
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

OK Ken here you go again!

Back in my dangerous game hunting days I would have said the 45-110 because of the extra power but mostly because of the availability of premium bullets. Better bullets mean better penetration. I have however witnessed a 50 caliber lead bullet run full length of an Elk (non-dangerous cow variety) and smash every bone in it's path. What you have not said is how light of a rifle you are planning on but if I know what I think I know it is a light handy rifle. If that's still the case then stop beating the brush and get that 50-70 you want in the first place! :wink:
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks to you guys, I've decided. On two. ha ha. 45-90 or 50-70. Thanks for all the good inputs, I appreciate it. Sometimes just a few words from someone makes you think about what you really want. Life is just too short to have only two Shiloh's, so now all I have to decide is which one I want to get first!! Thanks again.
Shiloh Rules!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I ment to say; 45-90 AND 50-70.
Shiloh Rules!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Dang, I keep forgetting to say the rest of it. Lee, I've got a box of Paper patched, I'll come down and shoot that -90 and share the PP's with you.
Shiloh Rules!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

All right!!!
Lee Stone