Spotting scopes

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gary Edgington

Spotting scopes

Post by Gary Edgington »

I'm been bitten by the BPC bug bad. During the infection stage I've noted that my spotting scope is not gonna get it. Any suggestions for log range work? Any good sources out there. I'm not opposed to a good bargain.

Thx

Gary
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Use the above search feature & type in "spotting scopes".

When I did this, about 60 some odd threads/entries came uip.
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

I use a Kowa TSN2 - 60x77mm. You can see individual shots to 600m but after that a spotter is required in the bunker
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

A lot of shooters use the Kowa scopes. I've been looking for a used TSN-1 or 2 or 3 or 4 but haven't found one yet. Buffalo Arms sells them about as cheap as you can find them. I used to have the www. of a fellow that sold them for even less but I've lost it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: I think the address is www.jarhead.com for Kowa scopes. Rbump
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Gary, I have a Kowa TSN-1 with the angled eyepiece and it is an excellant choice for Silhouette but I find myself using large astronomical binoculars more and more for spotting. Using both eyes gives me better depth perception & wider field of view but the binoculars cannot be used in the prone position like the Kowa can. Quality binoculars with 70 to 100mm objectives can be found on the web, (Sportsmens Guide, e-bay, etc) for less than $300.00. Investing in a solid tripod allows for increased magnification and is always a wise choice. For prone shooting a Freeland type scope mount allows a scope with an angled eyepiece to be used by the shooter without having to change his position. Do not buy a scope or binoculars without trying them out ( ask people at the range if you can look through thier optics). Buy the best that you can afford as cheap optics will need to be replaced sooner than later. Rbump
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Gary,

I am addicted to the Kowa TSN-821-M. It is a really great scope.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/kowa.html

And I also purchased his scope stand. This is the best scope stand I have ever used.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/stand_photos.html

Extremely stable and extremely versatile. Good for standing, sitting or prone.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I bought the best scope stand I've ever seen from Ebay. It's an old Majestic from Chicago, made in the 20's or 30's. It's super stable and strong, it cranks up, and the head swivels with a crank. I paid $80 on ebay for it, shipped! They were made for movie cameras, the real movie cameras that weigh 20 pounds or so, so they had to be very sturdy.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

G E ! What are you using now ? JAGG
JAGG
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

I have been using the Kowa 821 for years now. Look in astronomy magazines for the best price. I got the scope and the 27 LER for a bit over 500.00 Also, a cool site for alternative sighting is www.bigbinoculars.com. I shoot with folk that use big binoculars and swear by them.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

I just bought the Kowa 823M with the 20x to 60x zoom eye piece and man is it sharp and brite so much so that i just got the camera adaptor for mine.it aint cheep buy quality never is.wish i had done it years ago i can easliy see 17cal holes at 200yrd with my old scope had trouble even at 100yrd.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

[quote="wolfie"]I just bought the Kowa 823M with the 20x to 60x zoom eye piece and man is it sharp and brite so much so that i just got the camera adaptor for mine.it aint cheep buy quality never is.wish i had done it years ago i can easliy see 17cal holes at 200yrd with my old scope had trouble even at 100yrd.[/quote]

Isn't the 823 the flourite version? Unless you are looking at nuance of color such as is required for bird watching and identification, I think the 823 is overkill. The Silhouette targets are white or black. Also the 27 LER is a better choice I think because the Long Eye Relief does not require you remove glasses for a full view.

Spend the extra on an 823 and zoom eyepiece if you choose, but..........
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Wolfie

Congrats on the good choice of scopes . The 20x60 zoom will come in handy for a lot of different applications . The 20x60 for hunting does great here in Alaska looking over the tundra scoping for caribou and moose and your right it's great for seeing small holes at long range . Since you mentioned that you got the camera adapter you will be doing more than looking at black and white silhouette's . I also use my scope for more than one thing , life is short buy what you want at any price , I do as well . :lol:

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

[quote="Bumper"]:arrow: I think the address is www.jarhead.com for Kowa scopes. Rbump[/quote]

This is actually www.jarheadtop.com
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

[quote="RANGER RICK"]Wolfie

Congrats on the good choice of scopes . The 20x60 zoom will come in handy for a lot of different applications . The 20x60 for hunting does great here in Alaska looking over the tundra scoping for caribou and moose and your right it's great for seeing small holes at long range . Since you mentioned that you got the camera adapter you will be doing more than looking at black and white silhouette's . I also use my scope for more than one thing , life is short buy what you want at any price , I do as well . :lol:

RR[/quote]

Just so the original person asking the question underastands the difference.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member