New Sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Longhunter79

New Sights

Post by Longhunter79 »

I need some help here guys. I shoot in my first long range match this past weekend. I didnt do very well. Most of my trouble came with sights. :cry:

I need some of your experience in picking out a rear Soule type sight and a front sight. Im looking at an adjustable(windage) front.

Im shooting a Shiloh 45-70, 34" bbl. 535 gr creedmore bullet. 65 gr Goex CTG.

So what sights should I get. Ill be shooting buffalo, mid range and long range matches this year.

Thanks,

Jon
CW5 Jon Welda
U. S. Army Retired

507-894-4751

It's better have one and not need it than need one and not have it!!!!!!!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Longhunter, number one ? is what sight set up do you have now? Number 2 question is why do you want a windgauge front sight?

I have windguage front sights on two LR rifles, and have yet to use the windage feature even under some extreme conditions. Get a LR soule rear with plenty of windage built in, and you will save a bunch of money. If all your shooting is going to be under extreme wind conditions, only then consider the front windage sight.

Others on this board may disagree, but it is a lot more time consuming trying to adjust the front windage sight during competition than the rear type. Your will be better off spending this time checking conditions and blow tubing. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I agree completely. I like the Ron Heilman sights, you can buy his long range tang AND the globe front for less than an MVA tang. He makes them one at a time. I have them on my 45-70 and really like them.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

I agree with Ken,
I have the Heilman sights front and rear. the rear sight can be had with 20 minutes of windage ( Standard sight) or if you really feel you need it Ron will make it with 40 minutes windage for about $75 more. Grand total, front globe with spirit level and soule rear w/ 40 min. windage about $410 plus shipping. Also his customer service is on a par with that of Shiloh. He will also put the vernier scale on either right or left side as you wish.
Jim Milner :lol: :lol: :lol:
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Longhunter, both of these guys arer right on the money, and I mean "Money". Ron Heilman makes a great front sight with the spirt level enclosed in the globe so that it is visible under nearly all light conditions. He was not the first to come up with this idea, but the sight he makes will accept a number of different inserts, and that in itself makes it worth the money. BTW his sight sells for much less than a number of other front sights of comparable quality. You won't go wrong by getting one. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Longhunter79

Heilman

Post by Longhunter79 »

You guys sold me. I need a way to contact Mr Heulman.

Thanks,
Jon
CW5 Jon Welda
U. S. Army Retired

507-894-4751

It's better have one and not need it than need one and not have it!!!!!!!!
KHR

Post by KHR »

Jon
here is one other sight to look at, the hoke sight: http://www.kermitool.com/ad.html I've got one on order so I'll report on it when it arrives. I've found that soule sights can sometimes get floppy, Kermit Hoke claims that with his design any play that develops can be adjusted out. I'm looking in to it because i need a lighter sight than a soule to make weight. Call him he is very helpful. Also I believe he said that his website was incorrect as to windage, and the sight has 40+ min each way.
anyway the heilman front sight seems to be a great way to go, how do we contact him, does he have a website?
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

What kind of turn around time is there on the Ron Heilman sights?
David
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ron is a great guy to talk to, his phone no. is 253-840-2623, and if I recal his email add. is r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net, I think. Call him and talk to him, he won't pressure you to buy, and he'll send you a brochure by email. Tell him Ken sent you and that I said hello.
Shiloh Rules!!
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Ron will get your sight to you usually in 2 weeks or less depending on what he has on hand already made up. His front globe is as good as they get.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Going to check into that.

Thanks for the responses.
David
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I think Ron's front globe is the best made, bar none!! And thanks in part to our fellow forumian Trigger Dr. who disigned the slot on the top that lets in extra light. The tang sight is great also, it is repeatable every time you set it, if the conditions are the same of course.
Shiloh Rules!!
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Longhunter79, there is a good selection af really good sights out there. I have 4 BP rifles with 4 different Soule-type sights. I have purposely gotten different sights to see which one does the best FOR ME and would like to tell you the good and bad points of each. MVA makes a top notch sight and I frankly can't find a lot wrong with this sight except they are a little pricey. If money is no object, you can't go wrong with this sight. Parts Unknown(Ukranian sights Buffalo Arms sells) makes a great sight for a good price. I think I've seen somewhere these are the leading best-selling sight in the U.S. This sight has a good point of being able to really fine-tune elevation changes as little as tenths of minutes. When you're shooting at little-bitty targets at long ranges this last point can be super helpful. The numbers on the staff of the PU sights are a little small which can be somewhat hard to read for us middle-age to older folks. I recently got a Hoke LR Soule and have been pleased with this sight. This sight has a tremendous amount of windage despite being very trim. Both elevation and windage knobs have little holes which represent 1/2 min which can be seen easily on the range. Kermit Hoke has also put some screws to keep the sight tight when it eventually gets some wear and gets loose. His turnaroud is very fast -2wks(at least with me) and he asks for money AFTER you get his sight and it meets with your approval. With this windage feature comes a price, you have to be careful when you move your windage knob or you can move it a lot more than needed. I think the screw is a little courser thus one can/may have trouble with a vertically oriented target like the turkey when making windage adjustments. I also have a Kelly midrange Soule but haven't shot enough with this sight to make an informed decision. It is definetly the best looking sight of the bunch with bronze knobs and case colored steel. I saw where the Kelly folks had some problems early on with quality control but seem to have that ironed out . I have had no problems with this sight and it appears to have little if any looseness.I have a good friend who is a good shooter who loves this sight. Hope this helps. There are a lot of good sights including the ones the posters above are talking about. You need to find as many of these sights as you can to look through them and make a decision. Good luck!
steve witt

Post by steve witt »

Jon- I have'nt forgotten you, I'll be e-mailing you soon. I think I can help you. Don't make any hasty decisions on the sight. Buy the BEST you can afford. I'd go with MVA. Best Regards steve
D. Deal

Post by D. Deal »

As for turn around on the Heilman sights, it really depends on what he has made up. If he has to make your sight, as he did mine, it may take up to a month. Mine should be here today. He knows what questions to ask you and his price is great. Mine is a Long Range with Hadley eyecup (Shaver's I believe) for $330 shipping included in the price I paid. I'll have to let you know on the quality as I have not laid eyes on it yet. No matter, it will be an improvement on the one I have now. Another case of not getting what I needed to start with. It'll get you every time!!!!!!!!