Powder Storage

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dean Jasper

Powder Storage

Post by Dean Jasper »

How does everyone store their powder?My shop is not cool in the summer and was wondering if I should store in a cool refrigerator.
abenson

Post by abenson »

I dunno if I'd go so far as to store it in a fridge; in fact with the possibility of condensation that's probably a bad idea.

I keep all my powder, black and "the other stuff" in my gun locker in the basement with a dehumidifier running. It's cool enough down there...never had any problems.
A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone.

Sporter #3 in .45-70 w/ 30" standard weight barrel, semi-fancy wood w/AA finish, pewter tip, steel buttplate and bone & charcoal pack finish.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Store both BP and primers in the large 5.56 mm army surplus ammo boxes in the basement (no, not in the same box!). The cans fit upright perfect in them.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Ironsight.

I dont think that storring your powder in ammo cans is a good idia.You are making a potential bomb with those locked- sealed cans.
Yes they are good for keeping moisture out,but think about it!

Kurt
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

I keep my powder in my home where it is dry and cool. I mostly buy powder by 25 lb cases and just keep the cans in these boxes/cases. I do everything else in my shop associated with BP but the shop has too much of a temperature fluctuation to keep powder there I think. I would be worried about condensation and sweating inside the cans.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Lead pot,
If'n it blows, oh well.
Other than a house fire, i don't see how it'll blow, remember the military uses them to store live ammo under extreme conditions. If you look carefully at how the latch mechanism is designed, its really held togather with heavy baling wire which would give under pressure, albeit the cover would probably go thru the roof!
Dont see much difference between a ammo box and the so called 'approved boxes' which are designed to hold a lot more cans.

Although i've been thinking about putting the boxes in one of my empty grain storage bins. Appreciate the concern!

By the way have you ever seen a pound can go off! Spectacular! :P
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

Y'all just send me the powder and I will store it for you. As it gets old,(a week or too) I will shoot it up so you won'y have the out dated stuff to mess with,
Jim :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

I have used a non working refrigerator/freezer combo for years. Store the BP in the freezer part and everything else in the refer part. I have GOEX dating back to '82 that's just fine.

Bob
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Dean, You can modify a surplus 20mm ammo box by adding 1" of wood to all the inside surfaces (top, sides, bottom). This container when finished will store 50lb of BP safely and is comparable to commercial containers in capacity and fire resistance but at a much more affordable price. Rbump
Dean Jasper

Post by Dean Jasper »

Thanks for all the good advice. Good shooting everyone!
Dean
"Smokeless is just a passing fad" CAS[/quote]