Availability of "Baby Sharps"

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Availability of "Baby Sharps"

Post by Todd Birch »

Dakota Arms is currently offering a "mini Sharps" rifle that is 80% of full size.
Instead of weighing 10-12 pounds, it weighs in at around seven depending on the size of the hole in the barrel.

Calibres range from the .17 HMR to the .30-40 Gov't.

For the Sharps man who has everything - or his lady!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Big Gun

Post by Big Gun »

Dakota Arms is located in western South Dakota in the city of Sturgis. I visited the plant last year and got a real informative tour. The material and workmanship on those rifles has to be seen to be believed. You get a one-on-one tour when you show up.

Best get a good grip on your checkbook if you plan to purchase a rifle. The lady who gives the tours is not bashful about telling you that they will make the rifle as expensive as you want. Quality is there, but you will pay for it big time. They will send you a color brochure if requested.

Only problem with those rifles is that one has to use the modern mouse calibers...and without black powder, what fun can they be? May be able to get a 38-55, but not real sure on that cartridge. Excellent way to start a real young person in the single shot rifle program...and advance them up through the calibers to a full-size sharps rifle.
Todd Birch

"Mini Sharps"

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Big Gun

On 'Guns America' or some such site, I saw a Dakota Arms mini '74 Sharps in .38-55. I believe that the asking price was $5500.
It was almost too cute to shoot.

That would make one sweet BP rifle for hunting, a lady or a junior - if they had a Dad or a husband with a fat wallet.

That's more than I've paid for some vehicles I've owned, but what the hay, it's only money.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"