Drop Tubes- Any Need for One Longer Than 24 Inches?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

taw1126

Drop Tubes- Any Need for One Longer Than 24 Inches?

Post by taw1126 »

Today I picked up a piece of 3/8-inch OD brass tubing to make a drop tube. The tubing came in a 36-inch length, which I intend to cut back to 24 inches (that seems to be the standard). Using the full 3-foot length looks like it would be tough, but I'm willing to try if it nets any significant benefit.

Any comments on using a longer tube?
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

TAW, I am not sure that you even need one 24" in length. I have done a few experiments with drops from 10" to 30" and have found at most 1/10th inch difference. I currently use a 20" tube.

I am not sure that even using a drop tube at all is necessary when the load is compressed, especially when some are compressing well over .35". I know it is supposed to settle the individual grains more uniformly, but after more than .25" compression, settling would seem to be a moot question. The compression is going to change the alignment of all the grains to a very significant degree.

I am sure this post will be jumped on by a lot of folks, and I hope so, cause I would like to learn more about others experiences and findings. Randyh
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

TAW, I am not sure that you even need one 24" in length. I have done a few experiments with drops from 10" to 30" and have found at most 1/10th inch difference. I currently use a 20" tube.

I am not sure that even using a drop tube at all is necessary when the load is compressed, especially when some are compressing well over .35". I know it is supposed to settle the individual grains more uniformly, but after more than .25" compression, settling would seem to be a moot question. The compression is going to change the alignment of all the grains to a very significant degree.

I am sure this post will be jumped on by a lot of folks, and I hope so, cause I would like to learn more about others experiences and findings. Randyh
Randy Ruwe
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

taw1126,
This is my take on drop tube length. I use a 30" tube when I load Cartridge into my 40-82 because if I use the 12" tube the load will not fit into the case. I other words it is so close to the mouth of the case that just handling the case spills a few granuales. I use a 12 " drop tube when I load Swiss because the compress required for the load that works for me is only .060" with the 12" & if I use the 30" tube the compression is .025". Both shoot well. So in summary, it depends on what you are trying to do with a drop tube. For me I use a drop tube to get the powder to fit into the case. :P
Keep on hav'n fun!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I use a 24" drop tube but to be very honest with you I don't know why that particular length. I do know I can get a lot more powder in my case and don't have to compress so much. So far, my rifle likes .220 of compression with goex cartridge, but after I experiment it may like .300 or even .350". I guess that's part of the fun of this stuff, there's always something to fiddle with! :)
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Dear Taw1126

Yup, it all depends upon what it is you are trying to do. I have experimented all the way to a 36-inch drop tube. The longer the tube, the lower the depth of the powder pile, and the lower the compression. Do you get my drift? What do you want? In the long run, no matter what Garbe and some of the others say, it doesn't really matter. Any combination, put together in good faith, will give you winning results, as long as you use black powder. I have shot the same size groups with Federal 215s as I have with CCI 200s, and the same size groups with 80 grains of FFg and 90 grains of FFG. The key with black powder is CONSISTENCY. If you load a batch of bullets the same throughout, it doesn't matter.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

buffalocannon,
Well put! as you indicate and IMO also, load consistency is the 'major' component of an accurate load.

Omaha,
I was gonna run some experiments this Spring with droptube vs. non droptube loads because a post a while back got me thinkin on this. Problem is sofar, the weather is not cooperating.
The conventional wisdom is to drop tube, the books say to do it and just about everyone else-its engrained to modern BPC. I'd be willing to bet not many if any veteran shooters today tried loading without a drop tube. Could even be unchartered territory. No doubt about it droptubing does compact. Its absolutely necessary to compact a large overflowing load (thats another story). However for normal loads, it might and i mean might not be necessary - the reason for the experiment. If it turns out it doesn't make much difference it'll most likely be because of what buffalocannon just posted.

By the way, I use a 24 incher only because it came with my powder measure.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

buffalocannon,
Well put! as you indicate and IMO also, load consistency is the 'major' component of an accurate load.

Omaha,
I was gonna run some experiments this Spring with droptube vs. non droptube loads because a post a while back got me thinkin on this. Problem is sofar, the weather is not cooperating.
The conventional wisdom is to drop tube, the books say to do it and just about everyone else-its engrained to modern BPC. I'd be willing to bet not many if any veteran shooters today tried loading without a drop tube. Could even be unchartered territory. No doubt about it droptubing does compact. Its absolutely necessary to compact a large overflowing load (thats another story). However for normal loads, it might and i mean might not be necessary - the reason for the experiment. If it turns out it doesn't make much difference it'll most likely be because of what buffalocannon just posted.

IronSight

Post by IronSight »

buffalocannon,

Omaha,

IronSight

Post by IronSight »

buffalocannon,

Omaha,

IronSight

Post by IronSight »

buffalocannon,

Omaha,

IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Hey guys, sorry about the multiple posts, my Sharps musto been on full auto. :roll:
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

taw1126,

Boy, you got variaty of answer's there. Buffalocannon even said S.Garbe is full of it or he didn't care what Mr.Garbe says. Makes me wonder what books Mr.Buffalocannon has written and shooting events Mr.Buffalocannon has won to qualify his remarks. I'd go with the experts, which most ,from what I've read, use a 32" drop tube. Now don't go by me as I'm no expert.

A.Bruiser
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Nothing wrong with trying what the experts do, in fact its an excellent starting point ifn one has all their gadgets and gismos that is.
The point is even if a so called expert's load recipe is followed to a T, it ain't gonna work unless each round has been loaded CONSISTENTLY and even more important, one has their shooting skills and quite possibly their rifle also.
Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

Hey BuffCannon,
I agree with you. I really do not care what the X spurts say, as they are X spurts with their guns, and as you know ours may be dimensionally exact as the ones they have, but will shoot different. Consistency is the key.As far as the drop tube, the ONLY advantage that I have found is to get MORE powder in the case. as far as accuracy goes, The gun is only as good as the nut on the trigger and the CONSISTANT loads used. The MAIN ingredient being the trigger man.
Jim Milner