"Hot Rodding BP Cartridges"

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Bruiser. Your costs at those prices are fairly close. I believe there are some getting Goex a little cheaper. Maybe not. There are 7000 grains in a pound. Using your Hepburn loads for Swiss (63 gr) and Goex (71 gr) stated above, you are able to load 111 rounds with a pound of Swiss at $15.00 a pound, or $.135 per round. The Goex, you will be loading 98 rounds per pound with Goex at $12.00 a pound, your cost will be around $ .122 per round. So you're looking at Swiss costing just over a penny or so per round more than Goex...at those prices. Good shootin!
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Bruiser. You might want to check out "Powder Inc." if you're interested in GOEX. Their price is a lot lower than the $12 you quoted. Their cost for 25 lbs. of 2F (or any other grade) delivered .. is roughly $240.00 or $9.60 per pound. At 71 grains per round, that gives you a cost of $.098 per cartridge loaded, vs. $.135 for Swiss. That puts the Swiss at $.037 more per round, or 38% more expensive than Goex. I just bought a case of Swiss and it was $15.95 per pound, delivered. So that's more expensive than your quoted price. Enough on that subject .. I'm just waiting for my rifle to be delivered..hopefully in the next month. Going to cast some more PJ bullets. Good shootin.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Rickd, where did you get the swiss for $15.95 per pound delivered?? Do they sell in 10lb and 5lb lots??? Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Ken. The Maine Powder House. I believe they only ship 25 pound lots. Nice people. www.mainepowderhouse.com check it out.
Clive Taylor

Post by Clive Taylor »

$15 a pound!!! I wish!! Over here, some 4000 miles closer to the manufacturer, Swiss costs the equivalent of $27 a pound - and that's from the importer..... Some thieving retailers want nearly $40 a pound!

Clive
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Bruser, I just checked my invoice from Powder, Inc dated 5/12/04. I got 25 lbs of 1F(Goex) to try in my new 45-110 and paid 8.15$ per can. Freight was 34.00$. Clive, if I had to pay that I think I would consider MANUFACTORING black powder! Wow, we don't know how lucky we are.
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Seems as if the subject has gotten a little way from what this subject line started as, "Hot Rodding " Or so it seems. So what would be hot rodding these rifles?

I'd like to read a little more on bullets and how they've changed.

No one has mentioned wads, so whats up there?

A.Bruiser
Josh A.

Moulds

Post by Josh A. »

Tas, you are right. I have probably got as much in moulds as I do in one of my Shilohs. I have come to the conclusion that the diameter of the bore riding section of the bullet in relation to the bore is the single biggest indicator of the accuracy of a well-stabilized bullet. The Jones bullet that I shoot in my hunting Shiloh is as well matched to the bore as I ever thought possible. It turned what I figure was a consistent 2 moa rifle into one that will flirt with 1 moa depending on how well I can hold it.

Take care,

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Josh,
FYI, a friend measured the particulars of a Shiloh "Buffalo Slug," a mould that used to be provided with early Farmingdale '63 types. All driving bands of this wadcutter type bullet were .544, the diameter of these rifles according to Kirk. The nose was .529. This so far has been my best shooting bullet from my carbine, but recently aquired others really haven't been shot enough to say it is IT. I believe that is what you meant in your post as to bullet configuration. Us '63 shooters are as searching as you cartridge folks believe me.
Gregg
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

gmartin,

I thought there was a 63 by line going, you lost or can't read?

A.Bruiser
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

A. Bruiser,
I believe you meant "you're lost." A bullet is a bullet! Please use your spell check.
Respectfully, Gregg
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

gmartin,

OK, How about "Bye Line"

No, a bullet isn't just a bullet or you wouldn't have asked about one.

And no, I ment "YOU" And you are lost.

Best regards,

A.Bruiser
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

A. Bruiser,
You are neither the arbitrator nor the moderator of this forum or others. I am guite free to respond to a post as I see fit. If you've nothing of inteliigence to add to my queries add nothing at all. The first rule grade school students are taught concerning bullies is "I" = IGNORE.
Gregg
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

gmartin,

Humm, food for thought,that. Now why would the Shiloh people start an 1863 support/shooting channel if it's not used. I thought we all were talking about hot rodding here and it's controversy in the game of BPCR. Wouldn't it be nice if a subject line was continued on in the manor in which it was intended?, instead of going off contrary to it's subject matter.

My contribution to your inquiry was, that you should stick it were it belongs.

A.Bruiser

P.S. Are we now going to go off on a tangent of name calling and insults?, I hope not. You called me a bully, should I return in kind?
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Looks like the PARROT is stirring up trouble again! :roll: