"Hot Rodding BP Cartridges"

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Josh A.

Big Wind

Post by Josh A. »

Is that the best you got? Very hasty missive (cool word, you impressed?). You must have misplaced your thesa...thesarau....oh, you know that big book with lots words that say the same thing.

Ego?, come on now Big Wind even YOU are not that thick. Projecting that big ole honkin' ego of yours onto poor ole' (verbally) defenseless friend? Moi?

Frankly, you porch pups are a "spot 'o fun" as they say. Big mouth, large (figuratively...is that spelled right?) target, no testicular mass.

Ok, now really, this has been fun but I DO have to move on. Short attention span, you see. So unless you get out your big ole book of extra words I actually got shooting to do instead of talking.

The best news is that you can keep that horse shit of yours in a whole other country, if you'se to drag it to Texas, might be some big ole vaquero might bop you on your nog.

Yada, yada......yawn,

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Josh A.,

I learned a long time ago to pick and choose battles. I do know I don't have the word power, or so it would seem, to keep up with the man and Todd Birch may or may not be looking down his nose at us, I'm hoping for the later.

I choose to think this skirmish was fought more to a draw, then to a winner, with the word power skewed to Todd Birch. Now I will Skirr on to other battles that will be fought on and in the winds of the internet. Such prose, don't ya think?

I will refine my cut and slash techneque for future skirmish's. Ah, what delight that will be and humorous to.

A.Bruiser

P.S. Josh A., just out curiosity, will you be attending your State championships? I'm presently working in Kansas and have some business to attend to in Dallas and was thinking on going to that match to watch. I haven't quite gotten up to speed for a load for my 45/70 Hepburn, it's close. Work is the limiting factor for shooting at this time.
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Gentlemen:

Enough is enough! Let's close out this thread and go on to more useful pursuits, such as blowing white smoke downrange.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

JEEEEEZZZZ,
Come on guys,
If it were not for the different names, I would have thought that Kelly O and Gunny had invaded the forum

Funny reading though

Jim Milner (Trigger Dr)
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

8iowa and Jimilner4570,

We can't close out this thread, more can be said about hot rodding in this game. I have a couple of other thoughts and when I think them through I'll post them. It was just starting to get warm in here and not even close to getting hot.

And who is KellyO and Gunny?

A.Bruiser
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

A. Bruiser, Kelley O, and Gunny were the top heavy weight champenes in this forum arena.One day the discussions got political. :shock: :twisted: :roll: ..and, well, Gunny boycotted this forum. I think Kelley O still frequents these waters, like a great white shark. :D Test the waters before entering the vacinity. I do miss their posts though, It was like a redneck soap opera wit dos guys.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

I for one don't want to see this thread come to and end! Can't wait to see what happens next. I would have to guess its going to be either the "Dreaded Triple Dog Dare" or someone is going to go for the throat and "Call His Attorney".
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Kamotz,

Sounds like a couple of regular guy's, KellyO and Gunny, I should find and read some of their posts, maybe I can get some ammo to use on Todd Birch :wink: ..

I got a copy of rules for BPCR from the NRA, hate to go into something blind. I couldn't find anything about changing twist rates, just basicly said rifles of the era prior to 1896. Cartridges was the same and now if I read correctly about the cartridge design, the NRA gives an allowance in dimensions for a cartridge that is used because of loose manufacture tolarance's of that era.

Blackpowder when it was the only powder available had 7 grades from what I've read and now it looks like 4 grades. When I was trying to figure out a load I read all that these boards had to offer and found an interesting fact.

#1- Swiss does require alot of compression to shoot well, cost seems to be more.

#2- Goex ,from what I've read, requires it to be compressed and quite abit I might add.

From those two I determined that Swiss would be the better of the two powder's, not because of performance, it's the cost and I'll break it down this way, this for a load I worked up for my Hepburn. Using 1 1/2 F. Swiss at 63 grains in a 45/70 case (Winchester case) and 71 grains of 1 1/2F Goex. That works out to 13% more Goex powder. So it would seem I'd spend more bucks, in the long run, for Goex then Swiss and may or may not get the same performance.

I haven't even thought about bullets and their design, how about that?

A.Bruiser

Better then politics?
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Correction,item #1

Should read, Swiss doesn't require alot of compression to shoot well.

A.Bruiser
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Bruiser. Re your cost analysis. I think you should get prices on Goex and Swiss before you complete your cost analysis. Swiss costs almost twice as much as Goex, so if cost alone is your basis for selecting a powder then Goex will be your choice. But performance is a key issue and a lot of shooters use Swiss because of lot-to-lot consistency. The 2003 lot is an aberration as it is totally different than prior years. You might want to test each one .. which means the load development exercise for each powder type. Then make a decision based on cost & performance. Good Shootin!
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Kamotz, I agree with you about those two. I had a couple of run-ins with Gunny and Kelly but have to admit I enjoyed the verbal sparring at times. They are both good shooters I understand and could often offer helpful advice. I heard through the grapevine that the Shiloh folks were about to pull their hair out sometimes over the things that were said here however.
Bruiser, I ditto what Rick is saying about the powder. Depending on where and how much you get in bulk, Goex can be nearly half the price of Swiss. Both are excellent powders and you need to shoot both in your gun to see which performs best. Most of the top shooters use Swiss so that is what I started out using but later found my gun performed better for whatever reason with Goex. Incidentally, Gunny and I got into it about this very"powder wars" thing . To answer your last question-bullet design is critical for accuracy. In my Shiloh a Lyman postell design bullet has been very accurate while a Lyman 420 gr flatnose bullet with the same diameter will tumble with minute-of-barn accuracy in this same gun.
Josh A.

Thread

Post by Josh A. »

I gotta admit that I lost interest. I was going to have to use my last ditch insult "you're Mr. pig pants" line, from my youngest nephew. I don't know what it means but he sets great store by it being the ultimate insult.

Anyway, I am off to test drive my newest secret weapon custom silhouette bullet design from Paul Jones. I am thinking this summer may be my time to give some of them boys at Ft. Chadbourne a good spanking. Speaking of Jones, you boys be careful with that rascal. The secret weapon bullet mould before this one showed up with some sample bullets of a design I hadn't seen before. His note said something like "this design is one I made up for one of my rifles, not cataloged, thought I would see what you think". Of course, I ordered that mould the same day. If you are not careful you will own a bunch of his moulds.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Josh, it sounds like you may be a candidate for mould of the month club.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Todd, if you would ever like to shoot a 500 yd Mid-range match you are welcome to come to Machias, WA, USA on the first Sat of every month. We would enjoy having you. There are a great bunch of guys shooting there, and all rifles, twists, etc. are welcome. It is a fun (heavy emphasis on the fun) shoot. You will be more than welcome. Randy
Randy Ruwe
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

I paid $15.00 a pound for Swiss and $12.00 for Goex. Lets say we can get 70 loaded rounds with swiss and 60 loaded rounds with Goex. thats a one pound can of each.With using a case of swiss means I can get 1750 loaded rounds with Swiss and 1500 loaded rounds with Goex. Thats 250 more shots fired with Swiss and that would give me 3 more match's to shoot in with out buying powder, thats a savings in my book.

You guys will have to work out the bullet issue.

Lets move onto Recoil and Torque. Wouldn't you think that more recoil and torque would be felt with more powder stuffed into the case using Goex?

A.Bruiser