Sharp's Paper Patch Bullets

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Post by Brent »

Yes, the bullet is as exactly like that as Richard Corbin could make it. Obviously, the bullet can be made with that boattail base if you wish, and I have, but what I was shooting recently was a full length 550 gr flatbase variant (different external base punch).

I would think you could just call up Richard and ask for the same thing that he made for me, and he might be able to pull the details out of his files.

Brent
Brent

Post by Brent »

Yes, the bullet is as exactly like that as Richard Corbin could make it. Obviously, the bullet can be made with that boattail base if you wish, and I have, but what I was shooting recently was a full length 550 gr flatbase variant (different external base punch).

I would think you could just call up Richard and ask for the same thing that he made for me, and he might be able to pull the details out of his files.

I also have a drawing of an original Sharps bullet on my website, so, to be sure that we are on the same page, the website for the GD bullet is http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/gd-ppb.htm

Brent
Josh A.

Paper

Post by Josh A. »

Brent, I understand. Rdnk was up here a few months ago and we spent some time on the range with my 40-70ss and some paper patch I had loaded. They were the 370gr. tapered bullets that BA sells. While Rdnk was here I put 7 in a row in a fist sized group on my pig swinger at 300m. With the barrel sights. Frankly, there for a minute I was putting on a shooting clinic. Bad news is that it was absolutely unrepresentative of the overall accuracy of this load. I am going to guess that it normally is a 2-3 moa load if I use a blow tube.

For some reason that heavy compression is important with paper patch. I am guessing it evens out velocity for some reason.

I dunno.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Brent

Post by Brent »

Josh,
I find little or no compression gives excellent accuracy with paper patches, but I have wipe after every shot. This will give 1.25 MOA with proper load development. But these loads, when fired without cleaning will give 10 MOA or worse for the first five shots or so, and then I have to stop because I've sprained my thumb trying to force the sixth bullet into the chamber.

Brent
Josh A.

Compression

Post by Josh A. »

Brent, I found that when shooting tapered paper patch bullets the less compression I had, the more fouling that was present to deal with. I don't wipe between shots, but I use a blow tube. I can deal with a tube when hunting but not wiping. With little compression and enough humidity in the air, I could keep the rifle shooting. Not great, but acceptable. On a low humidity hot day, forget it. As I upped the compression the fouling seemed a little more manageable. Still marginal in high heat, but I could keep it running.

I hate it that I can't seem to get the paper patch shooting anywhere near as well as my hunting bullet in this rifle. I want to try out some very soft bullets on a feral hog and see if it kills any better than the 20-1 Jones bullet I normally shoot.

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955