Hunting Bullets

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Wainer

Hunting Bullets

Post by Wainer »

What are some of the favorite bullet shapes and weights for hunting deer to elk ? Thanks for the input, Don
The tomb is still empty.Peace brother.
pete

Post by pete »

Wainer,
I haven't hunted alot with bp cartridge rifles but I've killed two buffalo (not the behind the head type shots but heart lung shots at 100 - 150 yds) , 1 antelope and 1 muledeer with pure lead Lyman 457193 420 gr. flat point bullets. They have worked very well although I'm thinking of trying to find a similar type bullet with better lube grooves.
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

[quote="pete"]Wainer,
I haven't hunted alot with bp cartridge rifles but I've killed two buffalo (not the behind the head type shots but heart lung shots at 100 - 150 yds) , 1 antelope and 1 muledeer with pure lead Lyman 457193 420 gr. flat point bullets. They have worked very well although I'm thinking of trying to find a similar type bullet with better lube grooves.[/quote]

Look at Paul Jones' site. He has a beauty if you can stand the price!!
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

I use a .40 caliber grease groove bullet with a 3/10" meplat, Steve Brooks mould, 420 grs. in my 40/90. Have only used it on whitetails & hogs & it is v. effective. Should be excellant for elk.
Have also used the Gould hollow point in the 45/70. This is also excellent for Texas whitetail.
In the 50/90 anything will do the job as long as you do your part.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Sharpie. The 420 gr 45 looks good with good grooves and it looks like it wouldn't take up alot of case room either.