Downloaded

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rgchristensen

Re: Downloaded

Post by rgchristensen »

To fill up space In a case for reduced loads, I use amaranth seed as a filler. Cheaply available in health-food stores and superior to wads and cereal-fillers. These are hard, small seeds, about 0.040" diameter, and meter nicely in a powder measure. Charge the powder, charge the seeds, compress the desired amount, and stick in a bullet.
CHRIS
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

The US Army got by just fine with the Trapdoor Springfield carbine load of a 450 grain bullet and 55 grains of powder, didn't they?
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Yup
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Oops! Dyslexia. It was a 405 grain bullet not 450!
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Chris, my PJ 45017 480 grain hunting bullet atop 68 grains of 1Fg Swiss will take down chickens as well as Rams if you hit them on the top 50% of the body. If you want to reduce felt recoil there are three ways to do it with a 45-70. Either reduce bullet weight, reduce powder charge, or go to a larger granulation (3Fg to 1Fg). Short of those recommendations, you can go to a 40-65, a 40-50BN, or one of the 38's. My 40-65 shoots quite a bit easier than my 45-70. As an anesthesiologist, I have seen quite a few individuals come back from cardiothoracic surgery and participated in African safarris shooting 375's and 416's, so it is possible to shoot the big guns after chest surgery. Best wishes!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thy
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

In all honesty Chris, your best bet is to just shoot 22 BPCRS.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Seriously considering that Kenny. I took possession of my new CPA silhouette match rifle before I had my surgery. Surgery was difficult to say the least.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Consider a good air rifle. They are a hoot. Shooting an air rifle is cheap . I have had a Benjamin discovery for a few years that we trained my grand son on and A Benjamin Silhouette pellet pistol that he shot for years before he picked up a 22.

I kill varmints with my Discovery 22 cal PCP, from wood rats up to raccoons and have made some surprising shots on rabbits and crows.
I had a nice, German made Springer, but I shoot the PCP better.

No recoil, quiet, and very inexpensive to shoot.

The #1 thing is to keep shootin..and a pellet rifle at 100 yards makes wind reading a necessity.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

If I can not shoot the Big Bores I am sticking with my .22
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I have read that you can use Unique and basically load it down to the point the bullet doesnt leave the barrel, 6gr seems to give around 600fps or so.
also you could try trail boss???

If you google "45-70 unique reduced loads" there are quite a few different sites to look at with ideas....

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I spoke earlier of my Chicken load for the 45-70 and Silhouette. My lever gun load for gong shoots uses 14.5 grains of Trail Boss and the same bullet and is very gentle on the shoulder and accurate to 400 yards at least. I shoot it in my Marlin 1895 but I have never tried it in my BPCR rifles. This of course would not let you shoot BP matches but you would have the fun of pulling the trigger on your Shiloh.

Be safe, Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I just want to shoot my rifles