Took a walk

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lead Pot

Took a walk

Post by Lead Pot »

Well I decide to take a walk, well 18 hours later I ended up in front of the Shiloh Shop in Big Timber MT.

My hat needed an oil change so, I said hi to the Gals and bought a new hat.

Kirk just set a new Buffalo silhouette with a helicopter up on a hillside, I forgot how far out it was, but it’s close to 1200 yards, and he invited me to go out and shoot on the Shiloh range. Well I just happen to have my #1 .40-70 with me, and a couple of boxes of ammo.I graciously excepted the chance to go out and shoot.I don’t have the opportunity to shoot long range so I jumped in the truck and spent time emptying a lot of cases.

When I got out to the range, that buff caught my eyes right away, man what a sight.
That silhouette range is build nice, I never saw a BPCR silhouette range other then the small bore silhouette range I shoot on, this range is very impressive. I want to tell you that range is build nice.
I started at the silhouette swingers and got my zero out to 500 meters.shot quite a few rounds at them just couldn’t stop.
I then turned on the steel plate that was out there I don’t know 750 yrds + and was on it after two shots,that plate rang like a bell shot after shot.
I don’t know who it was that said .40-70 ss wont shoot well he will have a hard time convincing me. The last 5 shots I took at the ram 4 were in a 3” tight group and one 8” right I left the mark on the ram I did’nt paint that group

Next I turned on that buff. It took 7 or 8 shots till I found it.No dust, but I had time to get on the scope and see the hits in the ground.When I saw were I was hitting I made an adjustment and gave that Buff a new eyeball.I heard a clunk a few seconds after the shot.There was a road grader sitting behind me ,and I thought the hydraulics just settled :roll: .but the next 8 or 9 shots hit there mark with that .40 caliber.So I think you would have a hard time convincing me that a .40-70 ss is not adequate at long range.

TNX.AGN Kirk if you read this I relly enjoyed the walk to your what I call Shiloh Ranch Range I enjoyed it.

Kurt
Troll

Post by Troll »

Sounds great. I'm more than a little envious. I ordered mine back in January so, I have more than a little wait to go.

I've also ordered a 40-70 SS and looking for loading hints. What brass, primers, powder...etc, etc, etc, is your load?
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Troll

I cant tell you how much powder by weight I load mine with a dipper,I think it’s arround 68 gr ?of 2F Goex.
I compress this .280 and use a coffee can lid for a wad with a news paper wad under the bullet.The primer I use is a Winchester standard large rifle (blue box) and a 425 gr one caliber ogive (just a little rounder then a creedmoor bullet that PJ makes) this is a excellent bullet for that rifle I had Steve Brooks make a mould for.
And I have a 420 gr 4 caliber pointed bulled 3 groove from a Paul Jones mould that shoots good,but it gets a little squirrely at 300 +- yards but it straightens out at around 400 yds.

I saw in your previous posts you have a #2 creedmoor in .40-70ss coming,I have one in .45-90.I think your going to like that rifle,mine came in at 11 lbs 14 oz with sights.That rifle is well balanced and it shoots.

Kurt