lead taste

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

reloader4410

lead taste

Post by reloader4410 »

After casting & handling bullets I get a metalic taste in my mouth reminds me of the old days when we used to burn wireing for the copper,to keep food on the table. Old days may be returning, anyone else have this happen to them? I cast outdoors with a fan blowing. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks in advance.
don marable

metal taste

Post by don marable »

The below information is from a Material Safety Data Sheet as published by the Mallenchrot-Baker Chemical Company. Please note one of the symptoms is metal taste. If I were you, I would review my operational procedures very carefully.

Don Marable

Inhalation:
Lead can be absorbed through the respiratory system. Local irritation of bronchia and lungs can occur and, in cases of acute exposure, symptoms such as metallic taste, chest and abdominal pain, and increased lead blood levels may follow. See also Ingestion.
Ingestion:
POISON! The symptoms of lead poisoning include abdominal pain and spasms, nausea, vomiting, headache. Acute poisoning can lead to muscle weakness, "lead line" on the gums, metallic taste, definite loss of appetite, insomnia, dizziness, high lead levels in blood and urine with shock, coma and death in extreme cases.
Skin Contact:
Lead and lead compounds may be absorbed through the skin on prolonged exposure; the symptoms of lead poisoning described for ingestion exposure may occur. Contact over short periods may cause local irritation, redness and pain.
Eye Contact:
Absorption can occur through eye tissues but the more common hazards are local irritation or abrasion.
Chronic Exposure:
Lead is a cumulative poison and exposure even to small amounts can raise the body's content to toxic levels. The symptoms of chronic exposure are like those of ingestion poisoning; restlessness, irritability, visual disturbances, hypertension and gray facial color may also be noted.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing kidney, nerve or circulatory disorders or with skin or eye problems may be more susceptible to the effects of this substance.
JackInZoar

Post by JackInZoar »

the bottom line here ,, your sence of smell often dictates to your sence of taste ,, try a respirator ,, or at the least a dust mask and see if that does the trick
RMulhern

Lead taste

Post by RMulhern »

reloader4410

And install....one of these:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulher ... en---2.jpg
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

I don't know how long you have been dealing with lead but the affects are cumulative. I'd suggest a blood test to see what your lead levels are and develop a base line....go see your family docotr and get checked out....
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
quigleysharps4570

Post by quigleysharps4570 »

I get that way myself. Figure it goes with the territory. When casting outside it's not near as bad, but will still happen. The ole lady is always on my a$$ when she walks in the shop :) , I've heard it a million times, "you need better ventilation in here"! She's right, just set in my ways I guess. The only thing I can tell ya is "Get better ventilation" and wear a mask! :D
Dan Fernandez

Post by Dan Fernandez »

I have to agree with nohorse, get yourself checked out by your doc. Better safe than sorry.