Need info on Buffalo hunting opportunities

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rich Siegel

Need info on Buffalo hunting opportunities

Post by Rich Siegel »

Please excuse this message as not being a hunting story but a request for information on buffalo hunts in the US. Could you folks give recommendations, experiences, complaints and general information you or friends have had on buffalo hunts. I'm interested in a fair chase meat hunt that would last two or three days. The outfitter/guide would need to understand the problems of black powder cartridge rifles's with requiring relatively short range shots for a one shot kill.

I just read the Hawes Ranch web site and that looks very good but I'm keeping my options open. Thanks for the help.

Rich
Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

Rich,
The first week of November, I will be on a fair chase hunt. The hunt is on a relatively small ranch (1600 Acres) that is used as a game farm. The buffalo herd is harrassed daily, and when approached by horse, man or vehicle, takes off. The owner does this to insure a "wild fair chase hunt" My son will be doing the video thing for me, and I will transfer it to DVD and send you a copy.
This hunt allows only 3 animals a year and the next year is already filled. Cost is $100. to shoot the Buff, this gets you head, hide,cape etc. If you want the meat, which I do, $2.20 per pound, carcass weight. the buff are 2 - 3 year bulls and run about 5 - 600 pounds carcass weight. With my extended family of 4 kids, the costis divided and we share the meat. Pretty cheap if you ask me. Transportation is only 200 miles, and my daughter works for Safeway in the meat department. Guess who is going to get her share for cutting and wrapping.
Good luck to you
Jim Milner Trigger Dr :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Jim,

Thanks for your reply and I appreciate the info. Please let us all know how you make out.

Rich
terry

Post by terry »

Hi Rich,
A friend of mine does traditional buffalo hunts on his ranch in Montana. His family has had the place since 1868. He's a member of the Sharps Collectors Association and his hunts are traditional with a chuck wagon, etc. I have a brochure that I can send if you can except a .pdf file.
His name is Jerry "Buzz" Nyhart at 406-684-5498. The ranch is SE of Butte. The brochure even says he has loaner rifles if you don't have a proper period buffalo gun!

Terry Behm
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Terry, I would greatly appreciate a copy of the brochure and I can accept pdf files--BTW I grew up in Deer Lodge, just down the road from Butte
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

I can recommend the Sandhills Ranch near Gordon, Nebraska. It's a good compromise between a "pasture shoot" and the 'period correct' Hawes or Nyhart sort of hunt. The price is right, about $750 for a nice cow or about $2K for a large bull. You get the meat, hide, head. The cow hunts are run in a fenced enclosure - a 12,000 acre fenced enclosure that is! The cows are 'just right.' You end up with 250 - 300lbs of tender, delicious meat and the robe makes a perfectly sized bed blanket. (I haven't gone on a bull hunt.)
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Thanks fellows for your comments. I really appreciate them and your help.

Rich
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

Rich: check out this site, courtesy of Stillwater on the shooter to shooter forum. http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.ph ... n-hunt.inc

Jim according to the Billings Gazette yesterday, the animal rights people claim that if you harass the buffalo with a helicopter, you make them tame and can get within a few feet of them to take your shot. Bet the buffalo hunters wished they had helicopters in the 1870's.
HangfireME

Post by HangfireME »

Rich

I know it's been over a month since your last reply here but on the off chance that you are still collecting information -

I would heartily recommend Lee Hawes outfit for a hunt only if you want to hunt with a period firearm and load and only if you want to transport yourself back to the 1870s for a couple of days. I hunted with him along with my Cowboy Action Shooting pard, Rusty Hogleg, in December of '03 and had a ball. Live in dugouts, eat in the cookshack (also a dugout), ride out to find the herd on horseback, stalk for a mile or so to get within 100 - 150 yards and take your shot. He will even supply a rifle if you are in need. I'm going back in December 05 for a big bull if that tells you anything about my reaction. Lee's family have ranched this land since the 1840s and he can show you where his great grandpa lived in a dugout of his own.

Good hunt, good people, good food, what more could you want? Lee's choice in beer could be better. :wink:
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Where can I find the Lee Hawes website that talks about these hunts?

Matthew Riehl
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

SharpsShtr,

Try here;

www.hawes.org/hunt/

Good luck, he sells-out pretty fast,
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Hangfire and all you other folks,

Thanks for your info. I like the Hawes outfit but was hoping to hunt this fall. Might need to wait to next year. I'll try to go in November, just before Thanksgiving. Is there any difference in the hide from late Sept to December?

Rich
HangfireME

Post by HangfireME »

Rich

I honestly don't know. When I went the first time, it was in part on Lee Hawes' recommendation that the hides were prime in Dec.

Give Lee a call - let him know I suggested you talk to him and he'll give you the straight scoop.
feinc

Tiwn Pine Ranch - Wyoming ???

Post by feinc »

Anyone hunted or have information regarding buffalo hunts at Twin Pine Ranch in Wyoming ??? Thanks - Dan :?: :?:
Dan Miller
The Firearms Exchange
www.FirearmsX.com
dm3280

Buffalo hunt

Post by dm3280 »

I will be going on a hunt at 1000 Hills in October. When I return I can give a review of the hunt for you.
There were a few reasons I went with them. 62,000 acres of open ranch to find 1 bull. Done on horse back. My wife is going with me at no extra cost. Ranch is located in southern Colorado and best of all it is only 100 miles from our cabin near Taos, NM. I figured after the hunt we can drive to the cabin and spend the rest of the week while the meat is prepared, then drive back and pipck up the meat. Makes the trip more enjoyable since my wife can go and we have a place to stay.