lead question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RichBratlee

lead question

Post by RichBratlee »

Hi guys, I have come across about 200 pounds of led--however it is very HARD!!!Can hardly scratch it with a fingernail--supposedly it was used in a water fire extinguisher system--something to do with fire hydrants or something--it has some brass or bronze gizmos in the casting --is this hardened with just tin or would there be a lot of other gunk in it--I'm thinkin' it will have a bunch of antimony instead of tin--any ideas???

Thanks

Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Rich,

It being that hard I would strongly suspect antimony and possibly some silver in addition. Tin by itself will not produce alloy as hard as you describe.
Lee Stone
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Thanks Lee--kinda what I was suspectin'--Didn't and don't want to put it my pot!

Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Yo Rich,
Just call Non-Ferrous Metals in Seattle and order some lead and tin from them if you want to alloy your own, or you can order it pre-alloyed if that's what you prefer.
Regards, LJ
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Hi LJ--Yeah that's where I usually get it from--just had a freind who laid his hands on this and was wonderin' what it was.

Oh and could you please pass on to the other folks that you know that might be planning on coming to The shoot the 13th of june--I have to cancel it--Steve and Beth are out of town and I have to get my kid to Seattle--He is going active duty US Navy on Monday and we are going to spend Sundcay in Seattle

Thanks Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)

Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

Rich,
I strongly suspect that the alloy you have is "STEREOTYPE" STEREOTYPE IS HARDER THAN LINOTYPE, AS IT IS USED IN CASTING PRINTING PLATES RATHER THAN printing bars. Damn I hate that caps lock key.
I have a copy of an excellent article by Rick Jamison from the july-August 1974 Handloader magazine. this deals with determining your alloy content with nothing but a mould, and a scale. It is very comprehensive and ACCURATE. If you would like a copy, I will bring it to the next Nisqually match. Our good will and prayers go out for your son on his tour of duty.
Jim Milner
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Thanks Jim--That means alot, especially as you,I and a lot of others here have been there! I would like a copy of that and hope to see everybody again in July at the shoot on the 11th!

Take care !

Rich

PS--and get on the bullpen and pitchers would you please*L* tell them there are a lot of Sharp's shooters out here who are gettin' "antsy"*GRIN
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)