50-90 (2.5) loads

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

crazeyiven

50-90 (2.5) loads

Post by crazeyiven »

I have heard a lot about Swiss 1 1/2 powder and decided a while back that I would like to try some. However, it is not available in the immediate area. Found a source not far from here but it is going to be another month or so before they "might" have it in stock. Goex is readily available locally so I have been playing with Goex 1FG.

There are not all that many posts about 50-90 loads, but, from what I've seen about the 50-90 and other larger volume cases, Goex 1FG is frequently mentioned. If the Swiss 1 1/2 is not a real contender for this cartridge, then I may just forget about it.

My components are: bell brass, cast bullets from a hoch # 512650 nose pour mould, 20/1 lead-tin mix from Midway, spg lube, federal 215 primers and, so far, Goex 1FG.

All that said, I was curious what powder/charge some of you that shoot 50-90 are using.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!
David
TYRVR

50 Calibre Loads:

Post by TYRVR »

I use GOEX CTG in my Sharps, I use the same charge with two different bullet weights, 535 grains and 685 grains......95 grains CTG poured-not dropped, with one .030 poly wad, two .030 veggie wads.... .20 compression, when my eyes are clear....both loadings will shoot an honest 2 MOA.....not keyboard MOA.

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

crazy, I'm in MO also and about the best place to get swiss is to order it, Goex also. I get mine from Powder Inc. in Clarksville AR. Maine Powder House is also good and Coonies.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
N2

Post by N2 »

crazyvixen - You should perform a search within this website for 50-90 loads. They've been discussed quite a bit in the past. FWIW, you don't see that many 50-90's out and about. I suspect it was the same in the 1870's.

I personally was never able to achieve the velocity levels with 1FG I thought the case was capable of achieving. I tried Swiss 1½ and achieved the velocities I wanted, but had fouling issues when shooting 12-15 round strings (silhouette matches) in 90°+ weather. Goex Ffg has given me nearly 1300 fps with 650 grain bullets and the fouling has been manageable in high temps.

You should find both of the bullets I'm about to mention very similar to your Hoch. My current load consists of a Paul Jones Creedmoor weighing 653 grains (20:1) over a .030" veggie wad and 102 grains of 2003 Goex Ffg. It's ignited by a Fed215M primer and loaded in Bell cases. I use rdncks Black Magic lube.

Prior to this I shot a Brooks 650 (20:1) Creedmoor with 95 grains of 2002 Goex Cartridge. It took 7 additional grains of 2003 powder to achieve the same accuracy and general velocity as the 2002 powder. I also had a 660 Brooks Creedmoor, but had to return it.

I say general velocity level as during my last chornograph session with my 50-90 and 2003 Goex it was ~20 fps slower than the 2002 lot, but the temperature was about half of what it was when I chronographed the 2002 lot of Goex. As temperatures here in Texas are now up in the 90's I guess I need to chronograph that load again. - Nick