Sight question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

m2fun

Sight question

Post by m2fun »

Just brought a Sharps Hartford 45/70 home last week. In the right place at the right time so to speak to find a Shiloh Rifle. :D

The rifle has an MVA tang sight. Is the standard to remove the rear tang sight to shoot using the buckhorn sight? Can the bolt at the hinge point (sight to sight mount base) on the tang sight be easily removed/reinstalled to shoot without the tang sight? Or can you fire with the tang sight folded back?

Thanks for the info.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

m2fun, Don't repeat Don't shoot your rifle with the tang sight folded back!!! MVA and other sight mfg's all advise against this. It is almost a sure way to put your eye out or at least cause injury. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

Call MVA and talk to them . They are very nice to deal with. They will give you best pracitices. For my MVA Soule sights I can remove the staff and replace, but it is a nuisance. For my competitive rifles I leave them on since there are no other rear sights on the rifle, so my experience removing them is more exercise than out of need. For my Shiloh Sharps, which I use for sporting, I installed a Marble tang sight. It is great!
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
m2fun

Post by m2fun »

Thanks for the info. I will give MVA a call.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I'm not advising you do the same but I have fired my 45-70 usning the barrel sights with the tang sights on, I fold mine forward just enough to see between the rails on the staff. I have fired it this way several times and it seems to work pretty well but I wouldn't do it as a routine thing. My tang comes off fairly easy by unscrewing the big thunb screw that holds the staff to the base.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
m2fun

Post by m2fun »

MVA explained the removal and replacement of the rear tang sight using the retaining bolt on the base.

Will give it a try.

thanks
Steve Silverman

Rear sight/tang site

Post by Steve Silverman »

I guess I haven't been paying attention. I use my rear site and tang site interchangeably. The tang site is the basic twist and adjust site. Once folded back, it is out of the way (In a small leather bag). Haven't had a problem. Who knows???
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

Steve
you need to read the note by omaha poke again.
with the tang sight folded rearward (even in the leather bag) you'll have the risk of an eye injury.
It is not work the risk
geronimo.tn